The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the art store today to pick up a few paint brushes, and some form of mesh. In the process of walking around to find something to tie my peila to I saw some cool toys (toys at a art store:alien: ) that looked alot better than the silly crap at most lfs. Dragons, little people, and other stuff that would make a cool little sillyscape.
So what I would like to know is .......
What is safe to use in a aquarium. In other words ....what kind of toys are safe. Like rubber, paints, and so on.The ones that I was looking at were like the Spawn toys.

So anyone have any ideals as to what I could use to make this work.
TIA​

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
aquamoon, a few plants such as babys tears Micranthemum umbrosum will melt while in contact with nylon type plastics, so you may need to experiment a bit with any plants you plan on tieing to your toy hardscape.

Also realize that planted tank keepers tend to make their tanks as natural looking as possible. As your plant collection grows, and your plantkeeping skills deepen, you won't want to clutter your tank with anything unnatural.

Many toys have tiny screws, seals or adhesives that will degrade over time in water, and like a child, you don't want anything very small, loose or sharp around your very active, curious and always hungry fish community.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
spypet, dood...
homeboy aquamoon has been around here longer than you and your second paragraph sounds kinda demeaning

Not every tank has to be serious. he said a sillyscape. I think it would rock if you had a bubbling Spawn with like bright pink ammania r. macandra and stuff! just don't forget Violator! I approve only if you have two or more outrageous colors of clown puke for your substrate.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
spypet a few plants such as babys tears Micranthemum umbrosum will melt while in contact with nylon type plastics, so you may need to experiment a bit with any plants you plan on tieing to your toy hardscape.

Many toys have tiny screws, seals or adhesives that will degrade over time in water, and like a child, you don't want anything very small, loose or sharp around your very active, curious and always hungry fish community.
Thanks....this is kind of stuff that I had not though of.

you won't want to clutter your tank with anything unnatural.
Who says that it will be unnatural:icon_smil
I'm a big fan of Oliver Knott's work. This link is one of his tank that I think is very natural.
http://k43.pbase.com/o4/11/259611/1/60710472.150504.jpg

A hardscape is just the bones of a nice scape.
"People should plan a scape on what they see. Not just on some underwater scape that they have never seen".

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Macclellan:icon_smil . Im sorry but no clown puke or spawn toys.
The ones that I saw were made like them.
Now thats been said Spawn would make a cool scape.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Oliver Knott is crazy. And just curious, but how would you apply a thin even layer of silicone? I know there is a spray kind but is that fine for aquariums? Spray on silicone is used on rubik's cubes to make less friction thus resulting in faster spins.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I silicone everything I put in my tanks if it's not specifically aquatic. Sometimes I paint things like flower pots or home made caves, etc, so I always cover them. I just take regular 100% rubberized silicone, put a blob on my fingers (definitely wear rubber gloves. ;)) and just lightly cover the entire piece. It dries clear. Let it cure for 72 hours at room temp and once you can no longer smell any "vinegar smell" it's ready to go in.

"edit"

No, don't use the spray kind...that's more of a lubricant. You can get small tubes of aquarium silicone at your LFS, but I use a lot of it on backgrounds and such, so I get the big tubes you need a caulking gun for. You can get the large tubes at most of the home stores like HD, Lowes, etc. Just make sure it says 100% rubberized silicone, not the kind for bathrooms and such that contain "anti-mildew" ingredients. That type is not aquarium safe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.