The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New to this aquascaping idea. Basically went to the AFA store at J*town SF, and picked up a whole set up out of the blue.

11-02-09
Substrate is Amazonia (1) standard sizing as the base. Amazonia (1) powder covers over it. I also used the white powder substrate that AFA provides -- As you can tell I'm going for the river/stream look with the driftwood with flame moss on top.

I'll probably cover the amazonia with some kind of hair grass. I'll need to level and separate the amazonia substrate with rocks or some sort so they don't spill and mix up with the white.

In the meantime, water is currently getting conditioned and the layout is in a very fetal stage right now.:hihi:

8-18-2010

added rotala, singapore rotala?, more hairgrass, and Red Ruby Tetras

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
Oh man, everyone is getting 30cm cubes, I want one so bad. D:

Your driftwood looks intresting, moss covered rocks work well to seperate sand from the aquasoil, you just lay them along the edges.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Looking good! I think the grass your looking for is called Dwarf Hairgrass 'Belem'. Check around the forums and see if anyone has some FS, I see it every now and then. I think there is also someone selling flame moss on a FS thread a few pages back.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dollface -- thanks, the DW is some of the newer ones that AFA has been getting, they work great with anyone who wants to run the 30cm cubes.

Nismo Tetra - The bottom mesh is a rubbery material that I got from my local hardware store. Correct, I cut it to the dimensions of the tank to keep it from sliding and to keep it from scratching the bottom. -- btw I drive a nissan 240sx (in my sig).

VadimShevchuk-- Thanks, they're a lot smaller than the typical ones you find other peoples tanks.

Jinsei888 -- thanks for the advice, I need to solidify the scape first before introducing any plants.

:fish:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Update: 11-07-09

Today I picked up some rocks and laid them out so the substrates wouldnt mix. I also threw in the driftwood to see what it might end looking like when the ideas are finalized. I may need to drim down the dw a little more so it doesnt get too cluttered.

I need to figure out what kind of foreground... AFA had a kind in their center display tank that I wanted.

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
I would plant the HC on both sections of soil, and then plant the hairgrass in whatever the back of the tank would be.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Moe - I'm leaning towards the UG right now. No rush though as I'm taking my time picking everything I really want.

BTW I ordered a Eheim 2213 filter set up and a Hydor Inline Heater. This little tank is starting to add up in $$$$$

Plans in the coming weeks/months:
5x Celestial Pearl Danios or Green Neon Tetras
1 or 2 Zebra Otto
CRS

Flame moss for the DW will be going in next weekend.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
AzFishKid - Yeah I need to pick up some flame moss for the tree probably this coming weekend (was too busy this past weekend). I hooked up a newer eheim 2213 filter to it (old fluval had to go haha). I cant really put any live fishes in there until my Hydor in-line heater comes in.

Does anyone know if its bad to mix CRS with CBS together?

and

what does everyone think about eleocharis belem for the foreground?

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
CRS and CBS will breed together, and eventually the dominant CBS gene will overtake the stock.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts