The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

First post, i have gleaned lots of info from this forum. And have searched all over for my particular problem. A totally brown / red anubia. Some info about my tank.

55g fluval roma,
Fluval stratum substrate, except a little gravel in the none planted area
Fluval 306 filter
2 x 40w t8 lights and 1 39w t5
Lots of bogwood

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10 - 20

4 boesmani rainbows
4 danios
1 golden nugget plec

Dosed excel 1.5 to 2 times normal dose
Flourish 5ml twice per week.

Ok. Problem is i bought an anubia not sure which variety but defo not coffeefolia (no ridges on the leaves) it was green when i bought it. I made the noob mistake of burying the crown in the substrate, it started to wilt. So found out that it should be tied to bogwood so i removed all the poorly leaves and attached to a piece of bog wood. In 1 month it has grown 6 leaves all of them growing very vigorously and strong, roots have made their way into the substrate. Only problem is that all the new leaves are brown, i have removed all the old leaves. Dont get me wrong i actually like the way it looks, but shouldnt it be green. All my other plants are doing very well. Aquarium is about 3 months old. Please take a look at the photos. The plant is located on the left of the full aquarium shot.

Water Plant Botany Organism Vegetation
Plant Water Property Plant community Vertebrate

Any help will be appreciated

·
Registered
548 Posts
That looks like an Echinodorus to me.
Are those the roots below it in the first picture? Doesn't look like Anubias roots.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes they are the roots. It would confuse me even further if it was an echinodorus as the original leaves were anubia green leaves. But on the other hand this plant has grown from nothing to this in a matter of 4 weeks. Also rather embarrasing if it is a different plant to what i thought, oh the shame!!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Can you get a picture of the crown, maybe from the front of the tank?
Does all the leaves come from a central crown or along a rizome?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ill get another photo this afternoon. Also just remembered that i have two of these the other one has both green and red leaves. It cant be seen in the full photo as it is hidden behind a rock. Will try and photo this too.

They must be ehinodorus rose looking at the plant info. This means i was missold them at the lfs. Although not too unhappy about it as they add some colour. I might even move it to a more fitting spot. The plant is doing great attached to the bog wood. But should i plant it back in sub. It wasnt too happy their last time.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
yeah that is not an anubias. it was probably grown out of the water in a pot and then when it adjusted to life under the water again the leaves changed. anubias are really slow growers too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts