The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I have done my lurking and finally decided to join. I've got a 10gallon Tetra "Half Moon" at work that I am turning into a planted. But all my questions are re our 55gal at home.

1- Filters- So I hear Eheim is the best. Would a 2213 be sufficent for a 55gal? I can't really afford much more than that (I found it on amazon for about 85.)

2 - Online Resources! - There are 2 Petcos (lame), one local fish store, and it's kind of crap. No one knows what the plants are called, and it's WAY overpriced. A 20lb bag of eco-complete was 38$!! So I was hoping you could direct me to a few reliable websites with decent selections of plants, lighting, filters, etc. Which brings me to my 3rd question,

3 - Plants. I need some suggestions for some easy, hardy plants. Since I am a noob I don't want anything difficult yet. I can always work up to that.

Sorry for the repeats, I did a LOT of reading so I hope I'm not repeating too much.

·
Super Moderator
12,114 Posts
An Eheim 2213 would be suitable for perhaps a 10 or 15 gallon tank at best. You would definitely need a bigger Eheim for a 55 gallon tank (I believe people will suggest the 2217).

For plants, I would suggest the basic low light plants such as Anubias spp., Cryptocoryne spp., Java Fern, Java Moss, etc.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I hope that when you are referring to petco as being "lame", you are just referring to the location(s) in alaska where you are from. I dont want to cause a big upset here but I work at a petco. I work in aquatics at my store and while I have little knowledge of aquatic plants, I have been breeding african cichlids for 6 years as well as saltwater reef and fowlr tanks. My petco would not even hire me without such qualifications. I do almost all maintenance in the aquatics department shared with a co-worker. All water changes fresh and salt, receiving fish, feedings, dosing meds etc is done by us. The store might sell pond type plants mixed in with full aquatic plants but that doesnt make a store (lame). I took great offence in that statement as I take great pride in my work and at my store.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One good PetCo won't makeup for the rest. I've never been to a well-informed one. I'm a big parrot person, and their employees are morons when it comes to birds. So no offense to you.

My boyfriend is being difficult. This is technically his tank. He wants to get a cheap $40, Penguin filter. I told him we need a better one and he asked WHY. So, to help me prove him wrong, why do I need a better filter? Please help me explain it to him.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
If you're planning on planting out this tank (which I assume, since you're here :)), you have to keep in mind that plants produce TONS more debris than just a fish-only tank. You'll always have leaves dying, stems breaking off, etc. So you need quite a bit of mechanical filtration to make sure that the debris gets caught in it and doesn't stay decomposing in the tank (algae issues).

Plants also will block flow as they grow and fill in. Without good flow in a tank, you'll get dead spots which again- accumulate debris and will lead to algae issues.

Flow also helps make sure that nutrients get distributed through the water column to all the plants, and helps discourage anaerobic spots, which actually can produce toxic gasses.

If you're willing to be patient and keep an eye here on the S&S and on Ebay, you should be able to snag a good deal on a filter.

You don't HAVE to go with a Canister filter, or just Eheim... AquaClear and Penguin also make good HOB filters (I wouldn't go that route if you're planning on putting together a high tech tank with injected CO2, but on a low tech tank they're just fine), and HOB filters are usually much cheaper than Canisters.

You can often also get good deals on used Eheims and Renas.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks very much! The thing is, I am not being a gold-digger here or anything. I'm willing to dish out some cash to get him a good filter. But he is stubborn. Which I understand. I will crack away at him, thanks guys =)

·
Registered
28 Posts
My boyfriend is being difficult. This is technically his tank. He wants to get a cheap $40, Penguin filter. I told him we need a better one and he asked WHY. So, to help me prove him wrong, why do I need a better filter? Please help me explain it to him.
In my opinion, I always found those open air hang on back filters to be annoyingly loud. I don't know if it is just because they are designed cheaper or if it is simply the nature of having an impeller that is not in a sealed system. Or if being mounted hanging off the tank just leads to more vibration. Canister Filters that I have used (some older Ehiem's and Rena Filstar XP3s) are quieter.

It isn't an answer why it is better for the fish but depending on where you are putting it it may be a good argument to try.

Note: I have no personal experience with the Ehiem 22XX series I would assume its quite a bit quieter but can't say from personal experience.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Frankly, I don't think it's a big deal to use HOB filters on planted tanks. I only have a canister on my main display tank. My puffer nano and my QT have HOB filters. When I get my other QT cleaned up into a shrimp tank, it will have a sponge filter. IMO, the canister filter is a luxury good that isn't absolutely necessary. They are, however, much nicer to use. They keep equipment out of the tank, as I have my CO2 run in a reactor as well as an inline heater. Combined with clear acrylic in/outflow pipes, and I have invisible equipment.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmmm okay. Well for now I think we will go with a HOB, and perhaps save up for the canister. If it's more about luxury and convenience, we can skip it for now. I don't mind the extra maintenance and care, it's kind of fun.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
82 Posts
For a cheap canister filter that works pretty decent and has tons of media space, I would recommend a cascade. Probably the 1000 or 1200 for the 55 gal. You can get them fairly cheap at bigalsonline.com I think my 1000 was right around 100 bucks dont remember. Includes bio sponge, carbon, floss polishing pads, spraybar. The swimming pool style connections for the hoses are very good quality and very durable. First prime takes a little while as it needs more then the stated "single pump", but after that, you never need to prime again unless you remove hoses from tank for cleaning or replacement. Hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
286 Posts
No, a 2213 won't be enough by itself for a 55gal. You could possibly make up the difference with a few powerheads.

I'd go with either a 2217 or a Rena XP3. If you could afford $85 for the 2213, what about $116 shipped for a new XP3, with all the media? http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3602&prodid=6139&catid=113
Just an FYI. It still doesn't seem to ship with the ceramic rings. Just the sponges, microfilter, and bio zorb. (I just ordered one!).

But, you can use a 5 dollar off coupon to cut out the shipping cost to 99 cents, then just add some media of your choice!

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/drsfostersmith.com

(Scroll down to additional 5 bucks off)

In my opinion, I always found those open air hang on back filters to be annoyingly loud. I don't know if it is just because they are designed cheaper or if it is simply the nature of having an impeller that is not in a sealed system. Or if being mounted hanging off the tank just leads to more vibration.
On the HOB filters. If the water level is below the output waterfall, you get a lot of trickling water noise. If you raise the water level to be equal to the output ladder, the noise disappears. As per the vibration, an book or other object on top of the bigger ones stops it, or some electrical tape.

If you're doing aquaclear HOB's, buy an extra sponge double up on the mechanical filtration. (no chemical) It helps a lot. Keep in mind, depending on what fish are in your tank, that it might actually be cheaper to get a canister filter, then HOB's. I'm running a AQ 70 AND an AQ 50 on my 46 bow. An AQ 110 or both the filters i have, is almost as expensive as the XP3!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.