The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all TPT members!

Well my friend just gave me his 75 gallon tank, magnum 350 filter and light. I have some live plants in it now and It dying very fast...I have 3 small discuss fish and the fish seem to be fine...(i hope). I love how the plants look on this site, and I have NO IDEA about planted tank. Is there a step by step instruction post? I try to search but didt get anything for a total newbie like me? I would like to start with few plants and see how it turn out but they all dying...(not enough light?)

Here my Question.

What are other basic tools/equipment I need?
What are some newbie plants should I get?
How to keep the plant form dying?

Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
What kind of light are you running on the tank? What about the substrate?

What type of plants did you try to grow already?

If your first attempt at plants were unsuccessful it probably has to do with the plant selection and the amount of light.

The first thing you can think about is what kind of planted tank do you want? Do you want to be able to grow anything and everything or are you willing to limit your choices to save money and to reduce the amount of maintenance required?

Once you answer these questions you can look at upgrading your light and possibly changing the substrate.

As far as newbie plants, it depends on the light setup you are running.

All the best,

Evan
Low Tech 26 Gallon Tank

·
Registered
196 Posts
welcome!

Like you I also just started a 75 gal planted tank! There are just so many options when it comes to planted tanks. What is your budget? I think that will determine where to start... I have put a lot into my tank, but I knew what I wanted and that was a lush, healthy and easy to keep...

Total I have spent is around 1200.00... that included everything, you already have the tank, filter and light so I guess you off to a good start...

You can check out my journal to see what I went through...

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/t...anchlos-75gal-first-attempt-planted-tank.html

Josh

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What kind of light are you running on the tank? What about the substrate?

What type of plants did you try to grow already?

If your first attempt at plants were unsuccessful it probably has to do with the plant selection and the amount of light.

The first thing you can think about is what kind of planted tank do you want? Do you want to be able to grow anything and everything or are you willing to limit your choices to save money and to reduce the amount of maintenance required?

Once you answer these questions you can look at upgrading your light and possibly changing the substrate.

As far as newbie plants, it depends on the light setup you are running.

All the best,

Evan
Low Tech 26 Gallon Tank
I'm not home right now but it 2 long bulb across the tank. Substrate..I buy form the local pet shop. They all rock kinda look like the stuff in your 26 gallon tank. (mostly gray not pink/red) I have few Dwarf and Amazon swords, few others but forgot their name.
My idea is to have a full lush looking tank with low maintenance cost.
Question: - Can I add in new substrate now? or do need to do water change etc..?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
welcome!

Like you I also just started a 75 gal planted tank! There are just so many options when it comes to planted tanks. What is your budget? I think that will determine where to start... I have put a lot into my tank, but I knew what I wanted and that was a lush, healthy and easy to keep...

Total I have spent is around 1200.00... that included everything, you already have the tank, filter and light so I guess you off to a good start...

You can check out my journal to see what I went through...

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/t...anchlos-75gal-first-attempt-planted-tank.html

Josh
Very nice tank!! Seem like you know WAY more then I do! My last fish tank was 120 gallon with a huge flower horn...It got really boring over time with an empty tank and 1 fish =) I'm willing to spend decent amount to get a nice lush look.
Question: I think I need a CO2 thing...what is a good size kit to get for 75gallon? yours look very big!

Thanks!

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
We need to know quite a bit more about the light fixture you've got on this tank before anyone can give you solid advice. Lighting is key to driving plant growth.

What brand fixture, what wattage the bulbs are, and what size the bulbs are (T8, T12, T5, T5HO...?)...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts