The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

New to the forums here, and this is probably a typical newbie question...:) So, I know that one cannot use water conditioner and Tetra Safestart at the same time (I did use Prime, but waited 24 hours before adding SS), but it's winter, my house is dry....and that means evap issues. I will soon need to top off my tank, especially so the water level does not dip below the filter intake in my Fluval Spec V, but I just added Safestart today. Any ideas on how I should go about topping off the tank without using a conditioner/interfering with the Safestart?

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom!

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Run water into a bucket and treat.
Allow the water to stand overnight (or however long the label on the TSS says).
Then use this to top off the tank. It may last for several refills before you use it all up.

Refill promptly when it is empty, add dechlor so you will have water when needed.

If the tank REALLY needs a refill, and cannot wait overnight, then you could go buy some reverse osmosis or distilled water. No dechlor needed.

Or go outside to a clean area and collect some snow, and melt it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much! All great solutions. I don't know why I didn't think of just treating the water separately and letting it stand...that'll do it!

Thanks again--H.

·
Registered
625 Posts
If you're changing less than 25% of your water you don't need a dechlorinater at all. You definitely don't need to worry about top offs killing the bacteria.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts