The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a biocube 14 and my light went out a few days ago.. and ever since then i've been online looking for a replacement hood (cause ahsupply's website is down and i can't buy a 6500k straight pin bulb cheap).. anyway, i stumbled something on [Ebay Link Removed]

seller:
Topdogsellers..

item:
LED Aquarium Light Freshwater Single Bright 12"-16"

Description:

Includes 33 LEDs
200 Lumen
Super energy efficient .06 watt LEDs
30x 6500K LEDs
3x Actinic 460nm LEDs

Short Vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQMMQCNEHZw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

-Has anyone tried with this product before? What are your thoughts?

I might be crazy enough to be the test subject on this one.. unless..

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I don't know enough about LED but .6w bulbs sounds low, I think people are after the 3w now. Just wanted to ask if you checked out nanotuners. They have pc upgrades for biocubes and pony ballasts to replace the originals. I had 2 things happen to a BC29, a switch went out so I hotwired it and dedicated that bank to a light timer. I had a ballast go out and replaced it with a pony I got super cheap on amazon, same one nanotuners sells. Both cheap fixes but you need to know wiring.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
whew! definitely skipping this purchase.. i'm not really after for the led, i'm just looking for something to replace my lights.. but since i got inputs already, i'll go and check it out..

eversince i got this biocube, the light has always been the problem..

·
Registered
754 Posts
It looks like these are made using lower powered LEDs instead of high powered 3w CREE LEDs that many use for reefs.

It's just not as high power as that but doesn't mean it won't grow plants. If your tank isn't deep this would be good.

My concern would be about the longevity and quality. It's cheap enough that I may chance it for a shrimp tank and grow java moss in.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I bet you could grow Anubias all day the with it.

The biocube lighting sure is a PITA, don't get a whole new hood though, replace the junk inside with a full upgrade kit or keep looking for alternatives. There are a bunch of youtube videos for dealing with biocubes, lots of bc14 owners on nano-reef.com. For plants you could even gut the hood and stick in a couple cheap coiled pc bulbs from home depot.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
That's almost 2 watts. You might grow Anubias with it.
A single 3 watt emitter (flashlight) hung about nine inches over the top would give you more light in the tank.

Tetra has a new clamp on LED light that is in stock at some stores now. Tetra Universal something. About $30.00

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
if you are set on keeping the tank gut the hood and get a fishneed it 70 watt MH raise it about 8-14 inches and boom you have great light, you just need to make a hanging bar which is really really easy and if you don't have the means to do 90 degree bends home depot will do it for you for free providing you buy the conduit from them

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i have been contemplating changing the hood, or retrofit something to it.. there's a current usa light for sw but can always change the bulbs with t5ho.. but that's another $50++..

or might as well buy a 6500k for biocube and research more before anything..

thanks folks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.