The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I have used it and it sux. It's painted rocks essentially. My black started to wear off after about 6 months. See if you can get some Black Diamond or Black Beauty blasting sand. I swear by the stuff and it's only around $9 for 50lbs.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have used it and it sux. It's painted rocks essentially. My black started to wear off after about 6 months. See if you can get some Black Diamond or Black Beauty blasting sand. I swear by the stuff and it's only around $9 for 50lbs.
oh oh what do you think about "Hagen Marina Black Tank Gravel" ? will that stuff wear off?

it says its plastic coated so it wouldn't be painted.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Any black gravel from the lfs is just going to be epoxy coated gravel. It will chip off. Black sands from the lfs are typically epoxy coated, but since they are sand, they generally do not chip off as easily.

The Black beauty blasting sand is found in 50 lb bags at places like Tractor Supply. Not sure what the canadian equivalent would be. It use used for sand blasting, but if you get the bigger grade stuff it is pretty good. I just put it in my 75g tank and am very happy with it. The small grain stuff is very sharp though.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since people are saying gravel will inevitably chip off (over a period of time)... I'm thinking about getting "Tahitian Moon Black Sand"

This product won't fade right? Not like the gravel?

Does anyone have experience with "Tahitian Moon Black Sand" ?

How long will the blackness last for the sand.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.