The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 40g breeder tank that got emptied up now and I've been thinking about hosting a/some cool fish. I'm gonna make a LED light for the tank to show case the fish. Planning for bare bottom for easy maintenance. I was wondering what would be your top 3 choice of fish in this kind of set up?? (please don't include goldfish here, as I already have a whole set up dedicated for them and don't want another tank of goldfish!!>:) )

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Just how bare?
I mean do you intend on just putting the fish in a bare tank under a spotlight?
Sounds a bit unpleasant to me.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
As long as you have plenty of cover for the fish, most species won't mind the lack of sand.
Hatchetfish are good. They stick to the surface and don't care what's below the top three inches of tank. Silver hatchets or marble hatchets would both work, just be certain that the tank is absolutely covered so they can't leap out. If there is a hole in the lid, they will find it.
Zebra, pearl and leopard danios would also work, and you could mix them if you got a nice big school. They're active and bold and couldn't care less about substrate.
Rummynose tetras would be another good choice. They're nice and shiny and fairly bold if nothing scares them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As long as you have plenty of cover for the fish, most species won't mind the lack of sand.
Hatchetfish are good. They stick to the surface and don't care what's below the top three inches of tank. Silver hatchets or marble hatchets would both work, just be certain that the tank is absolutely covered so they can't leap out. If there is a hole in the lid, they will find it.
Zebra, pearl and leopard danios would also work, and you could mix them if you got a nice big school. They're active and bold and couldn't care less about substrate.
Rummynose tetras would be another good choice. They're nice and shiny and fairly bold if nothing scares them.
Thanks Betta132 for the suggestions! Will definitely check out hachet fish, sounds like a cool species. I have kept/currently have some danios and rummynose, and would like to venture out on some new fish that I've never kept before, maybe some medium to larger sized fish, although I am limited to just a 40g.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
They have their place, I have way too many tanks to have to look where exactly the poop is when I am on water change routine.
Vacuuming a bare tank is much less effort. I do still put rocks and pots with plants in the tanks or add floating plants.

I have only two tanks with substrate.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They have their place, I have way too many tanks to have to look where exactly the poop is when I am on water change routine.
Vacuuming a bare tank is much less effort. I do still put rocks and pots with plants in the tanks or add floating plants.

I have only two tanks with substrate.
Thanks Nordic - I'm hoping to skip the substrate process. Not sure as of now how "bare" I want it to be. I guess it depends on the fish - if it's really messy fish, then it'll probably be more "bare". but I was thinking it be maybe driftwoods +/- floaters +/- plants that don't need substrate (aka ferns, anubias, etc).

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have a 40g breeder tank that got emptied up now and I've been thinking about hosting a/some cool fish. I'm gonna make a LED light for the tank to show case the fish. Planning for bare bottom for easy maintenance. I was wondering what would be your top 3 choice of fish in this kind of set up?? ...
An easier question would be: Top 3 fish for a substrate tank. Because there are probably only a few whereas there are hundreds, if not thousands of species which are better off without any substrate.

There's an LFS nearby with ~50 tanks containing ~200 species. Only the cory tank has substrate, sand, something about it being good for their fins.

There may also be a few random species here and there which like to burrow or perhaps need it for breeding, otherwise substrate is not for the fish it's for the humans and/or the rooted plants.

Most humans find substrate aesthetically pleasing, and so even though it's a hindrance to maintaining top water quality they will use it. If you are "gonna make a LED light for the tank to show case the fish" then you might as well add substrate. You want it to look cool, right? Substrate with colors and textures and varying depths... albeit a zillion nooks and crannies harboring festering detritus.

Are you gonna breed egglayers in the breeder? If so, have you ever had those tiny fry with substrate? It's a mess. Anyway, I'm sure you'll figure something out. All the best.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Solution, place tank with bottom just above the eye line...invest in a small step ladder. ta da!!!!!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts