The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had all my Yellow and CRS in my 30C but decided to head a different direction with that tank so I needed a place to put my shrimps. Decided instead of trying to put them in one of my other tanks I'd throw together a breeder style tank with stuff I had lying around.

10 gallon tank
CFL spotlight from Lowes
Fluval Shrimp Stratum
AC30 HOB filter
Tom Mini Rapids canister filter
50w Heater
ShrimLab mineral rock
Java Moss
Water

I wanna put a sponge filter in this tank instead of the canister and HOB. Need to buy one. Any suggestions or tips from shrimp keepers? I wasn't running a sponge the AC20 on my 30C and when I opened it up and pulled out the media tray there were about 15 yellows crammed in the bottom. No idea how long they were in there.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I would put a sponge on the intakes, or take out the HOB and put in a sponge filter. The more filtration the better, especially with crystals.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I would put a sponge on the intakes, or take out the HOB and put in a sponge filter. The more filtration the better, especially with crystals.
From the looks of it he already has a sponge over the intake of the HOB. I have one on mine as well. It doesn't stop shrimp from crawling into the output of the HOB. I can't tell you how many times I've found Amanos and RCS back there. I'm also interested in what sponge and air pump you decide to go with as I need to do the same. I'm having those issues in both of my shrimp tanks. I would prefer a canister though, you wouldn't have the issue with a canister and a prefilter on the intake.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Grabbed this sponge filter from Hagen. Elite model. It's crazy loud. Is that normal for sponge filters? I've never used one before...

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Grabbed this sponge filter from Hagen. Elite model. It's crazy loud. Is that normal for sponge filters? I've never used one before...

Thats the one thing I found with the Hagen ones, they come out in 1 big bubble at the end that can sort of have a loud gurgling sound. I like the Hydra line better.

·
Registered
901 Posts
the pic is cut off just at the point where the output is so I can't tell for sure, but when the 90 degree output is installed in mine it did make quite a bit of noise. I removed it so that the bubbles go straight up and out and it is much quieter that way. You'll still hear the bubbles, but nowhere near the gurgling with that bend in it.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the pic is cut off just at the point where the output is so I can't tell for sure, but when the 90 degree output is installed in mine it did make quite a bit of noise. I removed it so that the bubbles go straight up and out and it is much quieter that way. You'll still hear the bubbles, but nowhere near the gurgling with that bend in it.
Yeah I was using the bend. Thought about taking it out to see what happened but at that point I was done sticking my hand in the tank and it was time for bed. I'll pull it out and see what it's like. Im also going to That Fish Place today on a road trip with some friends so I might see what options they have there.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This Hagen is fine now without the bend. Nice flow and double sponge. It should workout just fine.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Dunno why but I really like tanks like this. Shrimp-friendly and simple...Maybe I just like huge piles of Java Moss and lots of healthy little shrimp. :) Keep up the good work fella.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Im new to the forum and cant seem to figure out what the deal with people breeding shrimp is. Do you guys use them to feed your cichlids or something?

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Im new to the forum and cant seem to figure out what the deal with people breeding shrimp is. Do you guys use them to feed your cichlids or something?
Some people like them just as pets in their tank as they do with a choice of anything else they put in there. Some people breed them to sell. The red and white ones are know are Crystal Red Shrimp and can go anywhere from $5 to $100 a piece and more, depending on color patterns.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not really sure how to respond to this...

Some people including myself like to keep shrimp because they are beautiful and interesting creatures just like keeping any variety of shrimp. Breeding them can be seen as a fun challenge and with sss+ CRS shrimp selling for $50+ each, breeding can be rather lucrative. Some species sell for $300-400 EACH! Breeding can quickly become much cheaper than buying more. It's just another segment of the aquarium hobby...

·
Banned
943 Posts
Are you trolling or just unintentionally thick? The same could be asked for keeping any fish. I have a hard time believing this is anything but someone trying to troll.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are you trolling or just unintentionally thick? The same could be asked for keeping any fish. I have a hard time believing this is anything but someone trying to troll.
I have no idea what your asking me. I don't follow your terminology, can you elaborate?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not really sure how to respond to this...

Some people including myself like to keep shrimp because they are beautiful and interesting creatures just like keeping any variety of shrimp. Breeding them can be seen as a fun challenge and with sss+ CRS shrimp selling for $50+ each, breeding can be rather lucrative. Some species sell for $300-400 EACH! Breeding can quickly become much cheaper than buying more. It's just another segment of the aquarium hobby...

Oh wow I had no idea. Kind of makes me want to setup my 10G for that..

1 - 20 of 49 Posts