The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like a few Ludwigia are not doing well. I'm seeing some twisting and over all smaller new growth. I'm also seeing some algae now too, however, my GDA is definitely less than last week. I had been over calculating water volume and have corrected the overdosing, but now I'm seeing as mentioned.

RO water 2:1 Ca:Mg to 4dGH
0dKH
NO3 15.63ppm
PO4 5.88ppm
K 20.46ppm
Fe .63ppm (Proxy)

My "guess" is to lower NO3 to about 12ppm and lower PO4 to 3ppm and raise K to 25ppm. But again, I'm guessing
pH 24 hour off gassed 6.8, peak CO2 pH 5.5
pH drop 1.3
Eco Complete sub.

Any suggestions welcomed

Attachments

·
Registered
525 Posts
Didn't you just change your light and dosing fairly drastically? Your plants need time to adjust to the new regime. Wait a couple weeks at least before changing anything else, it will give you a better idea of the issue (if there is one).

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didn't you just change your light and dosing fairly drastically? Your plants need time to adjust to the new regime. Wait a couple weeks at least before changing anything else, it will give you a better idea of the issue (if there is one).
I did. Okay, thank you! So this is, some what, normal when larger changes have been made?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Yes. My guess is you're noticing it in the Ludwigia species because they tend to be very fast growers. You can also probably expect lower leaves to start to die off/look ratty in the future as your plants grow leaves adapted to their new conditions.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. My guess is you're noticing it in the Ludwigia species because they tend to be very fast growers. You can also probably expect lower leaves to start to die off/look ratty in the future as your plants grow leaves adapted to their new conditions.
Thank you!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I would like to share my 5 cents regarding your dosing for future.

If you strugle with GDA I suggest you lower your Nitrate to 10ppm as you mentioned.

Your PO4 is way too high, usually NO3 and PO4 is recommended to be at a 10:1 ratio, so with your 15ppm NO3 you should have about 1.5 PO4. Too much PO4 can hamper the uptake of Iron in plants.

I think 20ppm of K is good, you shouldn't need more.

What are you dosing for Micros?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would like to share my 5 cents regarding your dosing for future.

If you strugle with GDA I suggest you lower your Nitrate to 10ppm as you mentioned.

Your PO4 is way too high, usually NO3 and PO4 is recommended to be at a 10:1 ratio, so with your 15ppm NO3 you should have about 1.5 PO4. Too much PO4 can hamper the uptake of Iron in plants.

I think 20ppm of K is good, you shouldn't need more.

What are you dosing for Micros?
.63 Fe as proxy CSM+b

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Like mentioned above your plants are still adjusting. Notice in the pics how the new growth is much different than the old growth. This happens when plants enter a new environment or there are large changes in the parameters. All in all I think things look pretty good.

As the plants grow taller you can begin topping and replanting.

Your dosing looks good to me. Someone said you need 10:1 NO3 to PO4, but many of the best tanks in the world are closer to 3:1 or 2:1. PO4 does not cause algae, and tanks like yours with plants like Pantanal and other fast flowery growers like a lot of it.

I wouldn't rock the boat too much and stick with what you are doing. If you do make changes, do it slowly and pay close attention. It takes weeks to fully understand the effect of changes.

All in all in looks like you are the right track. Tank has lots of potential and looking forward to seeing where it goes from here.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Like mentioned above your plants are still adjusting. Notice in the pics how the new growth is much different than the old growth. This happens when plants enter a new environment or there are large changes in the parameters. All in all I think things look pretty good.

As the plants grow taller you can begin topping and replanting.

Your dosing looks good to me. Someone said you need 10:1 NO3 to PO4, but many of the best tanks in the world are closer to 3:1 or 2:1. PO4 does not cause algae, and tanks like yours with plants like Pantanal and other fast flowery growers like a lot of it.

I wouldn't rock the boat too much and stick with what you are doing. If you do make changes, do it slowly and pay close attention. It takes weeks to fully understand the effect of changes.

All in all in looks like you are the right track. Tank has lots of potential and looking forward to seeing where it goes from here.
Thank you Greggz, as if all this stuff wasn't difficult enough, now I have to learn patience! :)

I also feel like I'm seeing a few positive reactions in the tank. Especially this morning.
Flower Plant Plant community Natural landscape Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
10 day update. No real change in the Golden Nesaea, and the Pantanal seems the same (not happy). More patience and keep waiting? As a whole, same struggles, GSA(though slightly reduced) and bottom leaves get algae.
Plant Botany Branch Terrestrial plant Organism
Flower Plant Light Green Leaf
Plant Water Leaf Wood Vegetation

I think the overall tank looks like vomit, I have no idea how to scape.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
I think the overall tank looks like vomit, I have no idea how to scape.
You are being too hard on yourself.

Many would love to have a tank that looks like that.

Very few grow Golden Nesaea well. And you almost never would see it in the same tank wth Pantanal. They prefer different parameters.

Keep at it. This is a good start. Scaping takes time and practice. Heck, I've been doing it for years and still have little idea of what I am doing!:D

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You are being too hard on yourself.

Many would love to have a tank that looks like that.

Very few grow Golden Nesaea well. And you almost never would see it in the same tank wth Pantanal. They prefer different parameters.

Keep at it. This is a good start. Scaping takes time and practice. Heck, I've been doing it for years and still have little idea of what I am doing!:D
Well received, Thomas the Train just popped in my head ;). My wife made an executive decision, we will be working on Pantanal only!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Seems like a few Ludwigia are not doing well. I'm seeing some twisting and over all smaller new growth. I'm also seeing some algae now too, however, my GDA is definitely less than last week. I had been over calculating water volume and have corrected the overdosing, but now I'm seeing as mentioned.

RO water 2:1 Ca:Mg to 4dGH
0dKH
NO3 15.63ppm
PO4 5.88ppm
K 20.46ppm
Fe .63ppm (Proxy)

My "guess" is to lower NO3 to about 12ppm and lower PO4 to 3ppm and raise K to 25ppm. But again, I'm guessing
pH 24 hour off gassed 6.8, peak CO2 pH 5.5
pH drop 1.3
Eco Complete sub.

Any suggestions welcomed
It takes plants a couple weeks to adjust to a change in fert regimen. Try only one change at a time, then give the plants a chance to react.

Try one thing at a time. It takes plants a while to react to changes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts