The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's another bio-load question.

I have an 9 Gallon aquarium (14 3/4" length x 11" width x 13" height) with a Eheim 2215 for filtration. I religiously do roughly >50% at least 2 x a week, most of time 3x a week.
Water quality is the following:

• Temperature: 76F
  • pH: 6.6
  • NO2: < 0.02 mg/l
  • NO3: < 1 mg/l
The tank is well planted with slow growing West African plants. As of now I have 1:1 Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Nigeria Yellow' and 3 dwarf cories. I was thinking of getting some Norman's lampeyes (6-8). As of now all the fish are healthy and happy, the slender kribs are even showing courting signs.

Do you think that's overkill?
Should I even bother getting them or just let it be the way it is right now? -George

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Nah, in the 9gl tank, once those Kribs start (its a matter of when, not if) breeding, the other fish will get harassed too much. The dwarf corries may even get more attention then they like from the Kribs.

Also, the 50% w/c three times a week can be over-kill. It is possible to do too many water changes.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I definitely wouldn't add more fish; even without spawning aggression to factor in, you're really maxed in bioload. IMO your water change regimen is a good thing considering the bioload in this small tank, though you probably should add ferts if you want the plants to thrive.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I definitely wouldn't add more fish; even without spawning aggression to factor in, you're really maxed in bioload. IMO your water change regimen is a good thing considering the bioload in this small tank, though you probably should add ferts if you want the plants to thrive.
Thanks Laura for you comments, so far I have been using Flourish, Excel, and a Black Water Extract (using a 1/4 of the recommended dosage) after each and every water change.

Nah, in the 9gl tank, once those Kribs start (its a matter of when, not if) breeding, the other fish will get harassed too much. The dwarf corries may even get more attention then they like from the Kribs.

Also, the 50% w/c three times a week can be over-kill. It is possible to do too many water changes.
I initially had 6 lemon tetra, before I got the kribs, who all committed suicide with once a week water changes. I later realized the NO2 and NH3 were off the charts. I was under the common logic that frequent large water changes would disrupt the bacteria and possibly do more harm than good. But recently, 2 part article series came out in TFH magazine about water changes. That was my biggest motivator to change up my WC routine.

Thanks again for both your comments!

George

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.