The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I know this question gets asked a lot but I was wondering if I have too many fish in my tank.

I have a 65g medium planted tank. Currently I have:
2 Opaline gouramis
1 Gold gourami
5 zebra dainos
1 farlowella
5 ottos
2 bristlenose plecos
1 redtailed shark
5 clown loaches

They all seem to be doing fine and for some reason I got the urge for some neons but think that might be over the top.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I was thinking OK, til I saw the 5 clowns. I suppose if they are youngsters you will be fine. But the shark and the clowns get pretty big. Too many fish is said to encourage BBA. If any had to go, I would find homes for a couple (or three) clowns and the shark, then you could add some Neons.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I wouldn't saw your tank is overstocked now, if everyone is juvenile -- like Betowess is saying.

But you do have some busters in there that will grow to get pretty boisterous. The clown loaches especially, and also your redtailed shark.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I think the important question here would be... how are your water stats? I have a few 'overstocked' tanks, but if you maintain your water stats with great diligence, then it really isn't overstocked as long as your fish get along.

Now, if you don't want to be doing water changes really freqently, then the question is: What the water stats are now? And how will more (and growing fish) affect your stats. For example... my 55g is pretty heavy in guppies, but I acctually have to over-feed a bit to get enough nitrate in the water (or add ferts) because my plants suck it all right out. I could add a dozen fish or more in one shot since I have good bio-filtration on a sponge/powerhead, and the plants would still be sucking out the nutrients as fast as they are made.

Now in my cichlid tanks, they continually peck the plants to death, so I have to do water changes every week to reduce the nitrate.

So my estimate would be if you have plants that are sucking out 100% of the nitrate, you could easily add some fish (especially since neons are so small and very little bio-load). However, if you are having to do water changes right now to remove nitrate when it builds up, then you may want to consider removing some of the fish that get large in favor of some neons, etc. Or look into plant growing as a method of balancing the fish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts