The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems I was lucky enough to score one of those 25 watt UV sterilizers that were mistakenly priced way too low on Amazon. I intend to hook it up to the outflow of my Eheim 2128 set up on my 40 breeder.

I know, generally speaking, that lower flow rates and longer exposure times are preferable. However, this seems like serious overkill. Should I have any concerns?

My one thought is that a 2 foot tall sterilizer hooked to my canister will greatly reduce my flow rate, especially when considering I already have an in-line CO2 reactor. Would I be better served to purchase a smaller unit?

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Booger the flowrate of your canister is probably too fast for a 9w to be effective, so your 25w is just right, however consider running the UV only the first 24 hours after a water change, since keeping it on 24/7 simply ages the UV bulb without yielding much additional benefit to your tanks health. It's mostly after the disturbance of substrate and filter media from a water change that enough biological debris gets water borne, thus it's primarily then that your UV is most effective.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
JP hit the nail on the head, with UV bigger is always better. The bigger the UV the faster flow rate you can have and still take care of parasites as well as bacteria.

I think the use of UV is underrated. Dealing with an outbreak of ich is a major pain so if you can't or don't want to do a quarantine tank UV is a good investment, IMO.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
It seems I was lucky enough to score one of those 25 watt UV sterilizers that were mistakenly priced way too low on Amazon. I intend to hook it up to the outflow of my Eheim 2128 set up on my 40 breeder.

I know, generally speaking, that lower flow rates and longer exposure times are preferable. However, this seems like serious overkill. Should I have any concerns?

My one thought is that a 2 foot tall sterilizer hooked to my canister will greatly reduce my flow rate, especially when considering I already have an in-line CO2 reactor. Would I be better served to purchase a smaller unit?
You got the whole unit and NOT just the bulb like everyone else who bought this????

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Many have reported that petsmart will be sending out the actual filter. Not sure if anyone has received theirs yet but they say they will, like I was told on the phone today to call back after I refuse delivery and they will then send out the correct one.

The flow rate and the wattage kinda go hand in hand. With higher wattage you can run higher flow rate for the same effect as lower wattage with lower flow rate.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Many have reported that petsmart will be sending out the actual filter. Not sure if anyone has received theirs yet but they say they will, like I was told on the phone today to call back after I refuse delivery and they will then send out the correct one.

The flow rate and the wattage kinda go hand in hand. With higher wattage you can run higher flow rate for the same effect as lower wattage with lower flow rate.

I was told the same. I wish I ordered 2.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts