The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Several hours after doing my first water change, I added more Tetra SafeStart Plus. I must have misremembered a post on Tetra's Q&A, and I added about a couple of teaspoons. When I looked at the bottle again, it said to add a teaspoon for every 10 gallons. My tank is 5.5 so I should have added a 1/2 teaspoon. Since it's just bacteria for seeding, do you think the extra would be a problem for my betta or the water parameters?

I just found on Tetra's website that using more than the recommended dosage of SafeStart isn't a problem.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
It shouldn't cause any problems, even if you dumped the whole bottle in. I believe their is no source of nitrogen within the product (unless bacteria die), so there is no danger of overdosing. It's pretty much just nitrifying bacteria in "hibernation mode", which is why they don't need much oxygen or any food source to survive (only up to a year in the bottle of course). Now the excess bacteria will die off due to lack of "food" (ammonia, nitrite) to keep them all alive, but that's normal (colony only stays as large as the food supply dictates) and you should not have any issues with nitrogen levels. So no need to worry.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Diana and WaterLife, thanks for your replies!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.