The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I overdosed on phosphate on my very first day of dosing ferts back on the 24th of February. Chalk it up as a "noob" accident that I won't make again.

For reading enjoyment, I was using Chuck's Planted Aquarium Calculator and was targeting my Phosphates at 1ppm. I tested about .5ppm, so I needed to add about .5ppm. Easy enough right? According to Chuck's calculator, about 2 Tablespoons in 250ml of water would give me .32ppm, which would have given me about .82ppm... HAD I OF USED MY BRAIN AND READ "Each ML of this solution added to your tank will add....". I ended up pouring all 250ml of the solution into the tank. According to my calculations, that put me at about 80.5ppm Phosphate. A nice little overdose eh?

Anyway, I've just let it run its course, taking a little bit out at each 50% water change each week. I'm still reading 10+ on my Phosphates, but my tank is holding strong. I'm having to prune Ambulia and Dwarf Sag 3 times a week and everything pearls after 15 minutes of "light on". I'm relatively algae free as well, which really surprises me and was the cause for my post.

Having this massive overdose of Phosphates, what kind of algae should I be seeing? The little algae that I am removing at each water change looks like thread algae (green, very long and stringy, soft and flows in current, easy to remove). I know I should probably be seeing more algae, but I guess having a 75gal filled with Ambulia sucks a lot of nutrients. What SHOULD I be seeing?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as I know, Phosphate isn't really a toxic substance to freshwater fish (as the nitrogen cycle would be). I've heard to problems with PO4 in marine/reef tanks though. Now, that's not to say that 80ppm isn't a toxic level either, but none of my fish have shown any sign of distress since the initial overdose.

That being said, I do have fish, and very healthy fish at that. 4 orange von rio (flame) tetras, 2 black skirt tetras, 4 glowlight tetras, 1 zebra danio, 4 harlequin rasboras, 1 oto, 1 clown pleco, and 4 bristlenose fry/juveniles. Little bit overstocked with the pleco's, but everyone's fine, eating fine, healthy, active, colorful, and growing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts