The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 120gal (48x24x24). I am using a 48" Nova T5 4 bulb fixture (6500k x2, 5000k x1, 6700k x1) I have noticed that many of the plants appear short or stunted. For instance I have some crypts (wendeti and balanse) that in a different tank are about 6-8" tall but in this tank they all appear short and wont reach more than 3" give or take. I also have a red rubin sword that seems the leaves are shorter and shorter each new one that comes out. I use EI dosing and Pressurized CO2, tanks been up almost a year rescaped about a month ago.

what causes this? I have some BBA issues as well. could it be too much light, too much green maybe, not enough red/blue? im not impressed with the color of the bulbs really. or is it too little light? or something else entirely? I feel I dose enough but perhaps I dont? any thoughts?

·
Registered
689 Posts
I have wondered this same thing because I have about the same issue and to be honest you just beat me to a thread regarding the stunted growth. I'm not the best tanker in the world but I'm going to assume that this is truely the difference between a low/medium/high light plant. I have a high light/pressurized tank and there are some plants that take off to the water level and some that stay stunted.

For instance my rotala, Ludwigia, and pogostemon reach for the sky while any crypt that I have literally lays flat on the substrate. Do I need to "sheild" crypts and other low light plants to get the height out of them that I desire?

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
With the high light you may need more fertz as well as more CO2. I had a lot of stunted growth, including C. balansae, and dosing more helped. Even though my tap water isn't super soft adding hardness booster really helped out all the plants and stopped the stunting.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the input everyone. I am a little supprised, I honestly thought I did not have near enough light. I will probably try the outside bulbs only and see how that does or maybe drop to three. if im not pleased I'll tinker with the CO2 and fert regimine. At least this is a starting point.

Could my Co2 supplier have given me "bad" CO2? about the time i got it filled last i noticed that i didnt get pearling anymore and shortly after is when the bba and stunting began. curious this hobby is sometimes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.