The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got algae just like thadius65's in the thread below, either diatoms or cyanobacteria? It seems confined to the finer leaved plants like pearlgrass or hornwort, but it grows really fast (it's easy to clean but back the next day). None of my algae eaters (plecos, foxes, shrimp) is interested in it.

From what I'm reading on the forum it's probably too much light: I have a 29G Tall tank. I'm running a total of fourteen hours light per day, eight at 2.2watts pg (Coralife 65w CF) and six at 2.9 (Coralife + 20w Powerglo) I have a mixture of stem plants, crypts, swords, ferns and anubias - all of which seem to be flourishing. I do about a 25% water change weekly, and the tank is dosed with liquid ferts (Flourish) once or twice a week. I have a DIY Co2 system, which I was having some teething troubles with (I nearly suffocated my shrimp!) but it seems to have settled down.

Filtration is probably a little on the low side, 3 x tank volume per hour - but my water parameters are good - pH 6.4, 0ppm ammonia and nitrites, about 3ppm nitrates. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Too long of a photo period IMO......on average about 10hrs if you are still having problems then lower it even more.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What combination of lights? Can I run the full 2.9 watts for 10 hours? At the moment the Powerglo functions as a morning/night light, ie. it comes on before and switches off after the other. It's only on in the morning and a few hours in the evening.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
If you are injecting co2 and dosing ferts I would just run it all at one time with a photo period of 8-10hrs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts