The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across a good deal on a fixture and was worried it would be too much for my tank. It is a Tek Light 36" 8 bulbs, 39watts each. Tank is 36" wide, 22" wide and 32" tall for a volume of 110G and injecting CO2 though a diffuser. Tell me what you think.

·
Registered
113 Posts
What type of tubes and can you control the lights in groups so they are not all on at once. with multiple ballasts you could turn on 4 for a set mount of time then all eight and then two again to mimik the sun reaching its highest point then setting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not purchased bulbs yet so I can put in whichever ones would work, I've been using 6700K and 10000K on my other tank. There is two ballasts, one controls the outside 2 bulbs and the other the middle 6.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually screwed up there, the 2 outside bulbs on each side are on one ballast, so then the 4 middles are on a separate one as well. I figure that should work well, run 4 bulbs for a few hours and have the other 4 come on for a few hours and then off again. What bulbs would you recommend me running? Have my CO2 system all set up with a 10lb bottle.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think the tek light only comes with two cords so your looking at running either 4 or 8 bulbs at a clip. Any way you slice it thats a lot of light. Tek has a good reflector that increase the available light quite a bit.

If you where to jam it full of 6,700k bulbs I think it would be way too much light but maybe if you blance out the spectrum using lots of different bulbs it would be ok. I would try 1 ati blue plus, 1 giesemann lagoon, 3 aquafloras, 1 giesemann 15,000k, and 2 giesemann midday 6,000k. you could more even more adventurous than that and use more specialized blue and red bulbs, but I think that bulb combo would be pretty awesome for both growth and aesthetics. Just be aware that 8 bulbs is alot of light even on a tank as deep as yours and you'll prolly want to give it a few inches of clearance off the top of the tank and run lots of co2!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.