The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am new here. I have a question about my lighting. I recently upgraded to a finnex planted + on my 46 gallon bowfront. I have red ludgwigia, hydrophilia corimbosa, green wendtii, red wendtii, several different anubias, Java fern, Amazon swords and ocelot swords, Java moss, ludgwigia perensis, moss balls and some kind of grass like plant. It still seems like some are stretching for more light. Would it be overkill to put a second light on? I have a compact fluorescent that is 96 watts that I was thinking putting on with the planted +. I do have a pressuried CO2 setup and I dose with searchem products( iron, phosphorous, nitrogen, excel, and flourish). Any thoughts on the amount of lighting is appreciated.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I am running a 64k t5 and a 10k 1w x 12 LED on my 46g bowfront. I do not use Co2. The tank grows great (for what I like), but the plants might appear to be reaching in someone else's eyes. I posted a pic so you can see, to compare for yourself. (Don't judge my tank though! It's a grow-out/breeding tank and I haven't got to cleaning the algae, but this tank can go a long time without cleaning the algae) So in my opinion and experience with this tank, and from what I think you want and your tank can handle....additional/supplemetary lighting would give you what your looking for. But 96w of florescent is a lot to ramp up quickly. Adjustments in co2 might also have to be made accordingly. If this concerns you at all.....

You could maybe try:
-Keeping the flourescent on a seperate timer and you use it as a 'noon burst'.
-Using a less intense supplementary fuxture althogether, like a t5
-Using a shorter fixture in the front (bow) section.

Or just go for it.......lol

Here's the pic of the 46g. There is more light angled toward the front of the tank, but ludwigia still grows in a slant when it reaches a certain height. In general, this tank looks better after a good prune. Stem plants left to reach the surface shade the stems and leaves below.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.