The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have a "too much light" problem. My tank is a tanganyika 27 gallon. I have some java fern and anubias--not exactly high light plants, but they work well with the rockwork. For light I have the ecoxotic e-series. Par values are in the medium to high range. I'm using sechem ferts weekly (excel, potassium, iron, and trace) and the plants are doing great. New leaves every week. But I'm developing a blackbeard algae problem. I tried upping the excel dose but to no avail. Lights run for 10 hours. Any shorter and I won't seem my fish. I turned the brightness down a bit, but I got this light because I like the shimmering effect. I don't really want to cut it back. Nitrates are low--10-15ppm. I run 2 filters (canister and HOB filled with floss, and remove the floss every week) plus purigen.

Should I add CO2? Seems overkill for anubias and java fern, but if it knocks out the algae great. If I do go that route, do I want to aim for the paintball style set up? Can I get into a safe, easy to use one for less than $100-ish?

·
Registered
819 Posts
How often do you do water change? More maintenance will help reduce algea in the tank.
For that size of the tank and the lighting, I think investing in a CO2 system is worth it. Dosing too much excel costs more in the long run. Depending on your space, a paintball CO2 system can be around $100...more or less with the CO2 regulator (with or without solenoid). Or a 2.5-5lbs CO2 tank is better so you don't have to by adapter if you want to upgrade later on.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Aquarium Treatments : Amazon.com: Premium AQUATEK CO2 Regulator with Integrated COOL TOUCH Solenoid[/url]
Yes that will work but you will be told that this and the miwaukee reg. are low end but I have two of them with no real problem except cheap needle valves which i changed out.This set up is for a regular co2 tank so don't know what you need to change it to a paintball cylinder'

·
Registered
541 Posts
Just co2 is not going to do much. BBA comes from poor water conditions along with too much light. You can get a ton of fast growing stem plants and co2 as well as EI fertilizing, or you can lower your light and shorten your photoperiod. I would suggest 2 four hour periods with a 2 hour break in the middle. That should allow you to still view the fish at both ends of the day. I would also suggest running the light at 70% and start changing at least 40% water each week.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
I have not really looked into this being true but this is just off my experience. I recently had a decent amount of hair and bb algae. I purchased 2 blue stiphodon gobys just because I thought they were cool. They went savage on all the hair algae and the little bb I had. But they cleaned up all the filters and hard scape. Along with the old and new leafs. Only paid like 15 bucks ea and they have a ton of personality. Doubt you will find them at a PetSmart or something along those lines you will need a nice lfs to track them down. Good luck!!

Opinion: don't mess around with paintball co2 just put that money into a nice 5lb co2 tank and regulator. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for the delay, and thanks for the input

Keymastr--I have a hard time believing it's poor water conditions. I test weekly before water changes, nitrates are always low. I'm running way too much filtration as it is (eheim 2215 plus aquaclear 30). I replace all the media in the aquaclear every 2 weeks and use the eheim exclusively for biological filtration. I don't say that to be contrarian, but because I really want to get to the root of the issue.

I planted some vals and have held off on the CO2 for now. Cutting back the lights as well. But if I do go the CO2 route, and if what I posted is generally not liked, do you guys like the ready to go CO2 arts kits? Can I get one for around $165 usd that would work well?

Attachments

·
Registered
541 Posts
The Vals look great. Bigger water changes and reducing your photoperiod and intensity will probably be all you need to do. Plants do not care what time the lights come on and off so you could have the timer set to come on at noon or 4 pm, whatever lets you see the tank the most.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.