The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Font Material property Advertising Rectangle Recipe

I have 2 of these on my dennerle scapers cube (claims 13 gallon, but I came up with 10)
Plant Green Wood Grass Terrestrial plant

I've been doing half doses of plant elixir and supplementing with phosphate and potassium as my nitrates have shown up.

Set up was started 25 days ago.
Corner nano filter with bio co2 attached. Lights are about 16 inches from substrate (dennerle scapers soil and petco sand). Photo period at 6.5 hours. Plants are s repens, e pusilla, l inclinata 'crystal', h tripartita 'japan' and salvinia minima. Ammo- 0-.25, nitrite 0, nitrate 5, gh 3, ph 6, trace iron, no phos- that's the extent of the testing I can do.

I'm starting to get some hair algae and judging by what I have going on and given it just water changed and dosed yesterday I think the amount of light and growth might be chewing through my nutrients, or my substrate is still absorbing. My main question is- should I spot dose the plants that seems to be struggling with additional phos and potassium to get the levels balanced or should I just manually remove algae and deal with it that way? I did use seeded filter media in start up but have overwhelmed it a couple times and rebuilt. Only critters in there are a nerite snail and a rice fish fry that was born in there from water lettuce that has since been moved.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Spot dosing with Excel? My vote would be yes.

If you meant spot dose with P and K? I'm not sure what you mean by that? You might need atleast some P in the water column but GSA/GDA are usually signs of not enough P. Not necessarily hair algae? Isn't that more of a co2 imbalance?

With the tank so young perhaps it's just to long of a light duration? For the conditions at this point? Maybe?

My tank is really close in size to yours. Maybe my details might be of some help? Not that I am algae free, lol! I just don't have hair, GSA or GDA. Some beard, yes. A nasty case of silk, yes. :)

10gal, probably more like 8, maybe 7?, after scape/equipment. ONF nano + 12" from substrate. The nano + is 15watts led compared to your 10 total (did I get that right?). Wattage may not be a direct comparison but it gives a starting point. I would consider the ONF nano + a medium high light on this tank judging from how my ludwigia mini red reacts to the light the closer it gets to the surface.

Light duration is 5hrs full intensity, 3 hrs at 50%, 1hr at 10%. I'm about ready to drop my full intensity down to 4 hrs as the tank gets 1hr of direct sunlight a day during summer months. When I first got the Nano it was at 3hrs full intensity.

I started out dosing PPS pro on this tank (2yrs ago now) but switched to full EI early on. GSA and GDA disappeared soon after. I am now dosing 7ppm nitrate (down from full EI), 3ppm P, ~25 ppm K. Micros are now recommended dosing of csm+b. I was experimenting with using Thrive S for micros.

Co2 is ~1.2 pH drop. Although my water flow in the tank is horrible.

I do a full 5gal water change every week. Unless I don't then I usually pay for it.

Plants are ludwigia mini red, rotala rotundifolia, macranda green, Erie. Monte Carlo. Crypt wendtii, hydrocotyle Japan and various Buce.

Photo is last week after a hefty trim. My monte carlo lifted up off substrate late last year and I held on until recently keeping it down with a shot glass, desperately hoping it would root. But it never did, lol! So I started over. It's mostly filled back in.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spot dosing with Excel? My vote would be yes.

If you meant spot dose with P and K? I'm not sure what you mean by that? You might need atleast some P in the water column but GSA/GDA are usually signs of not enough P. Not necessarily hair algae? Isn't that more of a co2 imbalance?

With the tank so young perhaps it's just to long of a light duration? For the conditions at this point? Maybe?

My tank is really close in size to yours. Maybe my details might be of some help? Not that I am algae free, lol! I just don't have hair, GSA or GDA. Some beard, yes. A nasty case of silk, yes. :)

10gal, probably more like 8, maybe 7?, after scape/equipment. ONF nano + 12" from substrate. The nano + is 15watts led compared to your 10 total (did I get that right?). Wattage may not be a direct comparison but it gives a starting point. I would consider the ONF nano + a medium high light on this tank judging from how my ludwigia mini red reacts to the light the closer it gets to the surface.

Light duration is 5hrs full intensity, 3 hrs at 50%, 1hr at 10%. I'm about ready to drop my full intensity down to 4 hrs as the tank gets 1hr of direct sunlight a day during summer months. When I first got the Nano it was at 3hrs full intensity.

I started out dosing PPS pro on this tank (2yrs ago now) but switched to full EI early on. GSA and GDA disappeared soon after. I am now dosing 7ppm nitrate (down from full EI), 3ppm P, ~25 ppm K. Micros are now recommended dosing of csm+b. I was experimenting with using Thrive S for micros.

Co2 is ~1.2 pH drop. Although my water flow in the tank is horrible.

I do a full 5gal water change every week. Unless I don't then I usually pay for it.

Plants are ludwigia mini red, rotala rotundifolia, macranda green, Erie. Monte Carlo. Crypt wendtii, hydrocotyle Japan and various Buce.

Photo is last week after a hefty trim. My monte carlo lifted up off substrate late last year and I held on until recently keeping it down with a shot glass, desperately hoping it would root. But it never did, lol! So I started over. It's mostly filled back in.

See, I'm using dennerle bio co2 (glorified sugar/ yeast) so I don't have control. Corner filter is rigged for it and I'm giving it a shot. I'm waiting on the refill, this is the same reason I consider myself cut off from proper access to supplies. Shipping requires me to use a relatives address as covid times have cut me off from deliveries (I live in the middle of nowhere) and priority deliveries there arrive 3-5 days late, if they aren't returned to sender. This is a HUGE issue for me.

I should've been more clear, yes, I meant spot treating excel and dosing the column with p and k. I was exhausted at that point rereading what I wrote it doesn't make any sense. I've been doing half dose of plant elixir (dennerle) comprehensive and adding a second half dose of p and k.

You're right about my lighting and tank size so it adds up to just over a watt per gallon. Just seems like extra looking at it, maybe it's from it being more white light instead of more red/ blue based that I've grown accustomed to.

I suppose I'll just keep on keeping on, then and deal down the photo period to 6 hours and see how that goes.

There's a possibility I'll break down and buy a rinky dink petco co2 system with bubble counter, but idk, I hate bubble counters but I can't add a canister as I have no room. Thank you for your reply!!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Man that's tough! And I thought I was out in the sticks. I can atleast get deliveries in 2 days. I feel for you.

My comment on light wattage was mostly to compare my ONF to your Dennerle's. I'm not sure if watts per gallon is a good measurement anymore?

As for co2, it might not be that bad. Do you know your pH drop? It's such a small tank. You atleast have a chance that your solution can provide enough co2 to make it stable. Hopefully?

And you really are early on in the process. I'm wondering if you have enough plant mass yet? For even 6hrs of full intensity light? If you want to be completely algae free. Once your Salvinia gets going though that should help a lot. Just my thoughts.

The tank is going to look really good once it fills in!

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man that's tough! And I thought I was out in the sticks. I can atleast get deliveries in 2 days. I feel for you.

My comment on light wattage was mostly to compare my ONF to your Dennerle's. I'm not sure if watts per gallon is a good measurement anymore?

As for co2, it might not be that bad. Do you know your pH drop? It's such a small tank. You atleast have a chance that your solution can provide enough co2 to make it stable. Hopefully?

And you really are early on in the process. I'm wondering if you have enough plant mass yet? For even 6hrs of full intensity light? If you want to be completely algae free. Once your Salvinia gets going though that should help a lot. Just my thoughts.

The tank is going to look really good once it fills in!

It's rough going lol but it makes you adaptive. I wish I could track the drop but I don't have anything that goes below ph 5.5 and my starting ph is 6 ish so I can tell you it's at least .5 😅.

*edit- I definitely don't care about being algae free, just keeping plants healthy enough to compete

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.