The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on my 20 gallon long I have an aqueon 36" modular LED light with all 3 LED strips installed (it comes with one out of the box and I bout 2 more for it). They are all the daylight bulbs. I have dwarf sag, hornwort, and a little bit of salvinia minima and my dwarf sag has a little algea growing on them, as well as my aquarium glass. My sand has a lot of brown algea on top of it also. Some of the dwarf sag is like a transparent brown color and looks like it's dying. I'm using root tabs and no c02. Maybe it is the lights causing this? Because all my dwarf sag is green in my 55 gallon aquarium. I run my lights for 10 hours a day. Any ideas?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the same light on my 29 gallon Bowfront. Well I had the 24" with the same lighting setup. Previously the tank had two incandescent standard fish tank lights over it for "low light." I thought that going to the LED would be better, even in a low light situation improving everything overall. I quickly discovered that it isn't enough light and not well suited for planted tanks. The par rating ended up being less than than my standard hoods. I replaced it with a Finnex Ray II, which is medium light at the substrate, and everything in my tank is much happier.

I don't think it's too much light as much as those are the wrong lights for a planted tank.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have no experience with that light. With that price range though, a lot of people on here including myself, use Finnex with great results. I see why you like it, considering the color combinations and the infinite control. It would be very pretty to have over the tank but honestly if you're wanting to grow plants, I wouldn't worry as much about color control. The Finnex Ray II has two strips of 7000k where as the Satellite Plus has 6500k lights. They will look about the same, with the Satellite having the ability to change the color of the tank.

This is the Par Data on the Finnex Ray 2:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=189944

Vs the Par Data on the Satellite Plus:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=379417

I am going to say yes from the quick research I just did. That appears to be a very nice light. The satellite appears to be cheaper in cost. I have no direct experience with it other than the information I just found.

Its up to you. I would say it will be fine and probably won't work any better or worse than the Standard Finnex Ray 2 a lot of us are running.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts