The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i am seeing what looks to be a Calcium deficiency.

I got this off chuck site. This is what is happening to the new leaves on my stem plants.

Distorted leaf growth
cupped leaves
twisted and bent leaves

But here are my readings-

Nitrate 10ppm
Nitrie 0
Kh 6d
GH 9d
PO4 2ppm
Co2 30ppm
2ml excel 3x week

I think i rember reading some where the to muck K and block Calcium in take.
So i have as of yesterday stopped adding the 1/32 tsp to my 10 gallon 5 wpg tank.

So my question is, is this the right step to take or am i missing something?

I dose 1/32 tsp 2x week which keeps @ 10ppm all the time. I have no need to PO4 as i have it in my water.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Seems like many of the 'experts' I trust state that the blocking of Calcium update due to too much K is more of a bad rumor than a reality.

I've had similar problems that I tracked to a lack of traces. I'd suggest upping your trace dosing initially to see if that helps...though it might take a few weeks to see the difference.

My guess,
Brian.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi yes i dose 1/16 tsp CSM+B 3 x week and 1ml of flourish iron 3 x week. It was raised up to this almost a month ago.

Oh and my pH is 6.4

Sorry i forgot to add that.:icon_smil

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi

Hi sorry it took me so long to get back but i have just got busy.

Ok so here are my readings with my tap water set out over night. Without the Calcium readings as i don't have a test kit.

pH 7.9
KH 9d
GH 6d

Also here are some pics that i hope will help. They are they best pics i can take with my camera.

Stunted Rotala rotundifolia

Hygrophila polysperma 'Sunset'

Ok any ideas on whats going on?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Get a report of your municipality's water and check the levels of Mg as well as Ca. From personal experience, having hard water, most of which comes from Ca, if I don't add Mg, I get a fair amount of stunting. I must add, that it doesn't completely fix the problem for me, and only one plant is affected, A. reinickii. HTH.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Can K causes Ca uptake problems...

Yes, this is recognize in a lot of scientific material. Alkaline earth elements in excess or missing can cause problems in another.

The published sequence is (as I recall)

K > Na > Mg > Ca

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Yes, this is recognize in a lot of scientific material. Alkaline earth elements in excess or missing can cause problems in another.

The published sequence is (as I recall)

K > Na > Mg > Ca
That is from extremely different environment and at very high relative concentrations in the sediment of terrestrial plants, it has nothing to do with the growth of aquatic plants which get the lion's share of their K+ from the water column, foliarly. Not roots.

It's also easy to test and see, all you have to do is consistently falsify at K+ interactions.

Which has been done multiple times with so called sensitive plants by several aquarist in out club as well as myself.

50 to well over 100ppm+ of K+ and perhaps 10 ppm of Ca++, no issue.
Folks use to add 30-50ppm as a routine for several years of K+ and never reported issues associated nor even correlations.

The research that suggest the interactions rarely gives any hard data(ppm) and it's generally where you have somewhat limiting conditions and need to fertilizer at a much greater cost that what we deal with, so subtle issues can cost lots of $

2:1 to 10:1 Ca/Mg ratios are fine for aquatic plants, with about 3:1 being optimal for growth of moist species.

I do not care what anyone wants to claim about K+ and blocking Ca++, I've tested it and was unable to produce the effect, so have many other folks.

It therefore cannot possibly be the cause, I'm not saying what else it is, but It cannot be that. For that to be true or possible, we must see it when we test for it on purpose in all cases.

I've been dosing high K+ way too long in too many tanks, and so has our club, as well in the past with the APD folks to ever accept this as remotely true.

Got a problem with that?:tongue:
Test it.

Then you'll know.
If you make a hypothesis and suggest it, you better go see if you are even right don't you think? So see if you can falsify it.

You need the control to grow the plants to begin with.
Then you add the suspect and see and you must make certain that other confounding factors are not present(which is typically why you might believe that K+ excess causes any issue with a plant).

It's a simple process of falsification. You try out things till you find a suspect.
After you rule out enough suspects, you are left with only one or a few possible candidates. It takes time, some control and a willingness to test something to see if it's right.

Regards,
Tom Barr

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.