The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a normal 10 galling and I am completely redoing everything. I wanted to order an aquaticlife dual t5ho 20" 36w fixture. Would this be too much light for my tank? I am not opposed to co2 at all really just would rather do liquid fertilizers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reason I want that particular light is because it is in my price range and I won't have to do any DIY with it.(do not want to do any sort of electrical DIY I shocked myself a few to many times playing with electronics when I was younger) also I had thought about a fixture to hang but I am living with my aunt to be closer to work and I don't really want to hang anything from the ceiling.

Btw to clear any possible confusion it is 36w total using two 18w bulbs.

If that is two much then given the above info what type of light would be good for my tank? I hate the look of the stock hood otherwise I would do an incandescent hood with the screw in cfls

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
The reason I want that particular light is because it is in my price range and I won't have to do any DIY with it.(do not want to do any sort of electrical DIY I shocked myself a few to many times playing with electronics when I was younger) also I had thought about a fixture to hang but I am living with my aunt to be closer to work and I don't really want to hang anything from the ceiling.

Btw to clear any possible confusion it is 36w total using two 18w bulbs.

If that is two much then given the above info what type of light would be good for my tank? I hate the look of the stock hood otherwise I would do an incandescent hood with the screw in cfls
What about still using CFLs but in clip on lamps or work lights?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Those will probably give you high light, requiring good CO2, good fertilizing, good maintenance, and lots of luck to avoid becoming a tank you spend most of your time fighting algae in. Two T8 lights are very good lighting for a standard 10 gallon tank. A pair of screw-in CFL bulbs are also very good lighting, easily adjustable by changing the bulb wattage.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I would build a box to fit on top and wire in two standard screw-in sockets, or use something like this: http://www.homedepot.com/Lighting-Fans-Indoor-Lighting-Indoor-Ceiling-Lighting-Ceiling-Mount-Lights/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbvm1Z12kx/R-202184524/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I used 3 of those for my 40 breeder. I just used the base, discarded the glass, and mounted the base piece to the inside of my hood. My dad helped me wire them together (just match up the colors on the wires). You could use one over a 10 gallon and screw two CFL's into it, sold at Walmart for about $7 a pair in 6500k, 13-26 watts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you to everyone that helped. I believe I am going to order a double bright this weekend. Shrimpnewbee, I'm glad you replied on my post I have been searching high and low as to if the double bright wil be sufficient light for a 10g and have been getting very conflicting answers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.