The Planted Tank Forum banner

Too Much Flow?

360 4
So I have a Magnum 260 canister on a 36 gallon planted tank. I never thought it had enough water flow. I did use an over the back as a interim solution but it's clunky and noisy. So I pulled it out and needed a different solution.

I had bought the smallest Aqqa wavemaker pump while back I could find, but it's output seems a bit high at 530 gph. I wonder how accurate that spec is though.

I put it in the corner and aim it to the side of the tank so it will bounce and then follow the front bow for dispersion seems to be ok and I have good surface movement.

Think this is a bad idea?

Plant Vertebrate Botany Organism Grass
Plant Water Vertebrate Organism Pet supply
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
17,859 Posts
Think this is a bad idea?
As long as your plants and livestock aren't being blasted all over the place and you think flow is fine, it may work well. Are you sure you need tons of flow, though?

Since you mention Koralia Nano, @klibs, have you checked out any of the Koralia Pico units? Some of those may suit your needs.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I just went through this myself. Tried em all and they still blasted my 20 gallon.
So I went with this.

One of the settings was the mildest so I turned it to that. Then I took the motor part out of the U bracket and reversed it so it's facing back toward the magnet. It helped a lot. I don't run it all the time but when I do the flow is very manageable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts