The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a such thing as too much filtration? I seen a guy with a 10g tank that he has an AquaClear 20 HOB and a canister filter. IDK what is up with that but do you think its a bit much? He said he has crystal clear water(wich he does) due to a tap filter. Its crazy! :icon_eek:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't think it's possible provided that there is not too much flow in the tank. The only problem that I can foresee is that larger amounts of debris will be caught and decay in the mechanical filtration, but this is a planted tank forum and you probably don't need to worry about that.

Brandon

·
Registered
11 Posts
Put another filter on there. I had a Penguin filter die on me. Very scary. Luckily, everything survived. Canisters are wonderful for planted tanks. I use a fluidized bed filter. I think it's neat and it has plenty of surface area, but it lacks a compartments to put peat and things.

Leave both filters on your tank for at least a month. I stirred up my substrate and washed all the media in my existing filter in tank water so that it would get sucked into the new filter several times. This allowed my bacterial population to establish in the new filter. If you can, remove some of the media from your dying filter slowly so that the new filter bears most of the filtration burden. Later you can put that media back in the dying filter for backup. As a side note, dying filters can usually be healed with a full disassembly and cleaning.

Brandon
Equipment Nerd
"I keep water. Fish and plants just make my job harder."

·
Banned
70 Posts
Is there a such thing as too much filtration? I seen a guy with a 10g tank that he has an AquaClear 20 HOB and a canister filter. IDK what is up with that but do you think its a bit much? He said he has crystal clear water(wich he does) due to a tap filter. Its crazy! :icon_eek:
you can have to much water flow but not to much filtration. i drill my spray bars out to slow the water flow down

1 - 8 of 8 Posts