The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So PetSmart is having a sale on powerfilters. I can pick up a 200gph AquaClear filter for $25. I was wondering if this filter, along with my other Aqueon filter (200gph or 250gph) would be too much for my 45gal? Reason I'm interested in running two is because of the following:

1) My Aqueon cartridge, after 3 weeks, was clogged so bad with media that unfiltered water was overflowing out of the collection area and going right back into the tank. Now granted, I have been planting over the past couple weeks and that has stirred up more debris and media than usual.

2) The tank is just big enough where the side opposite of the filter is not having enough water disturbance, maybe to the point of where it may cause some issues.

3) I love the Aqueon. Have had it for 8 months now, running everyday, and still runs like new and is just as quiet as when new. However, the AquaClear looks to be better with Biological filtration and establishing and supporting bacteria.

In the interest of creating more water disturbance, I'd be interested in running two smaller filters, rather than a bigger 300 or 400 GPH filter. Plus, a powerhead kit will cost about the same or more as this filter.

As for noise, my tank is located in my livingroom, not in a bedroom or other more quiet area. So a little increased noise won't be an issue. I just didn't want it to be TOO MUCH filtration and end up doing more harm then good.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Plus aquaclears are great because you can put whatever you want inside the media area. I hate cartridge based filters for 2 reasons. 1, its expensive usually to buy replacement cartridges. 2, if you take out a cartridge and everything is all there is 1 little package, and you throw it out and swap it, there goes all your bacteria for eating ammonia and nitrites and the new cartridge will have to repopulate again and everytime you switch one out.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Your Power Filter Question

Good morning Wheely...

Aqua Clear is a very good power filter, very quite and reliable. I have a 45 G (see pic) that's tall, 24 inches and find a two HOB filter set up works very well. I currently run an Aqua Clear 50 and a 30 on opposite sides of the tank. If you have a lot of plants and fish you'll need to clean the filters and media a little more often. I clean filters and do 50 percent water changes about every two weeks.

B

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just purchased the 200GPH model. Confirmed that my Aqueon is rated at 250gph, so a rated 450gph should be fine. Thanks for all the great input

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.