The Planted Tank Forum banner

Too much duckweed?

1968 5
I'd love to get some help: This morning, all my desert gobies, bumblebees and lots of shrimp were at the surface. Two dead. My 29 gallon has a dense jungle of underwater plants and top entirely covered in duckweed and this has never happened before. In the afternoon, there's lots of pearling on underwater plants so I've kept the duckweed there for filtration. Could it be that there's too many plants using up oxygen during the night? Could it be too much duckweed? I added a sponge filter half and hour ago and some of the fish and shrimp are swimming around normally. What do you think?:icon_eek:
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Your plants aren't using your O2 at night, its more than likely that there isn't any O2 left in the tank from the fish and shrimp since the surface is coated with duckweed. Need more surface agitation like jbrady has stated to allow for oxygen exchange to occur at the surface.

·
Registered
11,717 Posts
I would remove some duckweed. Monitor the ammonia so that if the duck weed is your major nitrogen sink you are not removing too much all at once. Perhaps clear no more than 25% of the surface at any one time. Once the other plants, growing lower, start getting more light they can probably take over some of the duckweed's job of nitrogen sink.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.