The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to tweak my DIY CO2 system because I can't get consistent and or good levels of CO2 out of it.

Last night I ditched Champagne yeast and tried regular bread yeast. I was getting 30 bubbles per minute within a couple of hours and today I came home and am getting more bubbles than I can count pouring through my bubble counter. Great.

However my drop checker is yellow so I checked my pH and Kh. My pH is yellow, like 6.0 yellow. I don't know what color it would be if it were lower than 6.0 (this is an AP test kit). My kh is 5 degrees. Which is weird for two reasons. One is that my kh is usually 3 degrees and second that looks like 150 ppm of CO2 according to Chucks Calculator.

I checked my kh in a 5mil tube (3 drops to change to yellow) and in a 10 mil beaker (10 drops to change to yellow).

Oh yeah, and none of my fish are dead.
I turned my reactor to face the surface so hopefully most CO2 will bubble to the top until I can figure out what is happening.

What on earth would make my kh rise like that? And I didn't add any baking soda!!!

Please help.
Pairustwo

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
It sounds to me like you have some crushed coral or other carbonate source (gravel, rocks, decorations) in the tank.
The pH goes goes, turns acidic, dissolves the carbonate source, raises your kH.

Also if you are worried about a CO2 overdose, agitate the water surface bit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds to me like you have some crushed coral in the tank.
The pH goes goes, turns acidic, dissolves the carbonate source, raises your kH.
Bingo. Doh. I do have some crushed coral in there.

So am I getting an accurate reading from the kh/pH chart? I know that things like driftwood can cause the pH to lower but that drop doesn't reflect a change in CO2. Is it the same with the coral affecting the kh?

Do I really have 150 ppm of CO2? Should I dig the coral out?

At what level do fish start dying? My fish aren't even gasping for air.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
No the chart is based on no other buffers being present.

IME, If the increase in CO2 was gradual, the fish might not go to the surface to gasp for air, but they will behave strange (like they are drunk).

I've never run that high, but I'm sure if you had 150, You'd have floaters.

HTH

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.