The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I put too much co2 in everything even HC cuba was pearling like mad but the fish were gasping for air at the top...

How do I get that level of co2 and keep fish safe?

Btw it was an accident not a fish endangering experiment :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just get the reading to be pure yellow at a slow paste and the fish will adapt. The reason why they gasp is because the levels are raising too fast and they suffocate instead of accepting.
Really? I assumed it meant not enough air = suffocating fish but suffocating them slower is ok? Haha

The other point is this is the fact the plants started pearling good mean that level of co2 is what they need?

·
Registered
881 Posts
It's not really suffocating them if the levels are raised up slowly. You can compare it to the co2 pressure on a mountain. Instantly transport a person to a high enough mountain and they will suffocate, even pass out. If you climb a mountain, your (lungs, stomach, chest etc.) body will adapt to the co2 pressure as you go. Even if it's a little extreme, you'll be ready to face it :wink: Plants pearling often doesn't mean that your co2 is right. You can have a pearling tank one day and the next day little pearling with the same exact amount of co2 applied.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
You need to have a surface free of surface scum. That could be from an overflow box, one of those canister filter inlet attachments or an Eheim Skim 350. Scum traps co2 in and prevents proper gas exchange. Get rid of it, and you can go to town with the co2 AND have more oxygen. You really need an efficient means of adding co2 then, because keeping it in solution is harder. As far as I'm concerned, a skimmer is standard equipment.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Add more surface agitation. . Or aerate the water somehow. Bubble wand or whatever... this should allow u too use higher co2..

The way I understand it.. the co2 in the water doesnt remove the oxygen, it just makes it harder for the fishes gills to absorb the oxygen out of the water. So if u add more oxygen, its easier for the fish to aquire it..

·
Registered
288 Posts
That's what I thought to the air bubbles breaking the surface allows the co2 to escape thus basically wasting co2
Yes it will off gas some. But having a higher oxygen level will allow u to turn up the co2 more than just the amount u r off gassing... your fish will b able to withstand a higher concentration. ... and co2 is so cheap, who cares if we r wasting a little bit.. plants will b happier..

Im not reall hot at explaining things so hopefully a guru will chime in and explain this better.

Lets say without aeration your fish will handle 30ppm co2.. if u add an airstone... or just make more surface agitation (<my preferred method, I hate water spots from airstones), your fish may b able to handle 35ppm, or maybe 40... these numbers are obviously not exact.. just trying to help explain..

The efficiency of the fishs gills will go down with added co2, but if the oxygen concentration is higher their efficiency will go up..

Hope thid helps

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Add more surface agitation. . Or aerate the water somehow. Bubble wand or whatever... this should allow u too use higher co2..

The way I understand it.. the co2 in the water doesnt remove the oxygen, it just makes it harder for the fishes gills to absorb the oxygen out of the water. So if u add more oxygen, its easier for the fish to aquire it..
I have a 4000 lph pump aimed at the surface lol

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have a 4000 lph pump aimed at the surface lol

Well sounds like u got about much co2 as ur gonna get... if your drop checker is lime green or more yellow.. check your numbers on a ph/kh chart and thats really all I can think to do.. maybe your having issues with ferts or lighting... I didnt reread thru the thread so im not sure if those variables have been addressed yet.

·
Registered
881 Posts
The stronger your light are, the more co2 you will need as the light will evaporate your water too. If you are able to diffuse as much co2 as you can then wasting won't be of any concern because sooner or later your co2 will evaporate. The question is are you willing to grow more algae and save a little co2 or find balance through tweaking your co2 up?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.