The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was starting a new ten gallon tank a few months back, I bought some golden white cloud mountain minnows.
Their eggs scattered and many of the fry lived. I bought another tank so I could house the fry as they grew.
I have about fifty or so near adult minnows and now the fry are showing signs of breeding by flaring their fins.

I guess I'm wondering if there is a way to discourage them from breeding. I like having them, but I don't want to have so many.
I'm not so inclined to give them to my local pet stores, since they are rough with their animals sometimes...
Thank you for all your suggestions!

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
dont worry about moving them they will eat the little ones if left with them. at least most of the time. could always sell the new ones back to a pet shop for at least store credit or post for pick up only

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Aside from making them unhappy, you can't really discourage them from breeding. You could try a predator fish in there to eat the fry, or you could leave them in with the adults. If you don't like that idea, just try giving them to a pet store, you may be able to trade them for supplies.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your responses! I appreciate it. I'll consider what you all said.
They are about 9 months old and might only be declaring a hierarchy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts