The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55 gallon low tech tank that I am trying to stock.

Currently, I have 16 Black neon tetras, 4 endler livebears (soon to be a million), 2 oto cats, one SAE, a bushy nose pleco, and some shrimp/snails.

I think this is about 42 inches of fish. I'd really like to add a school of rummy nose tetras, or other hardy, tight schooling fish to the mix. Would another school be too much? Could I add 6 or 12 rummy noses without too much bioload?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
You are not overstocked. I think you're fine adding another schooling fish. Before you make a final decision, take a look at the ember tetras. Over the years I've had many types of tetras but until a year ago never heard of the embers. I have a school of about 36 in my 55G and another school of about 45 in my 75G. They are by far my favorite tetra. The get a nice bright reddish orange when they mature and most of the time move as one cool group through the tank. The color is amazing against the plants. Here's a pic of them waiting for food bits that float up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
you should have room for more. Use this formula as a guideline. (W x L) / 8 = # of fish inces capacity.

You should have plenty. Just remember that not all "inches" are created equal. Some fish are bigger-bodies, or just messy compared to others, so use some common sense and kentucky windage.

Also, watch yourwater wuality as you increase bio-load. Don't double your population overnight.

AB

1 - 4 of 4 Posts