The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a lot about the possible causes and treatments dealing with green spot algae. However, there has not been a clear cut solution/method to eradicate it, especially from plants. I am looking for someone that has had proven success dealing with GSA and what method they used to do so.

Here are some information on my tank:

-20g high (24Lx12Wx16H)

-Filter: Marineland penquin 200gph (just upgraded so the lack of adequate filtration till now could have helped GSA outbreak)

-Lighting: 1 Aquatic Life edge LED, 1 power LED 400 (also have marineland single bright LED that I do not use)
I know that this lighting is not ideal but I have nice plant growth despite my GSA problem.
I previously had my lights on for 12 photoperiod and was inconsistent with it as well. This probably has a lot to do with the GSA outbreak. I am not running them on an 8 hour schedule, with both of them being on for 6 hour along with 1 hour sunrise period and 1 hour sunset period. Hope this along with consistency will help.

- Temp. constant 78 deg.
-pH 7.5
- substrate: Floramax with sand in area without plants

I do weekly 50% WC and dose excel

Ive heard dosing PO4 can help and I have some dry supplements coming along with flourish and seachem equilibrium. I am looking for some advice to effectively reduce the GSA in my tank. This is my first low-tech planted tank so any advice is welcomed!

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
po4 will help but it could and likely is due to too much light which is driving the need for co2 which is lacking.

I have beat GSA on my anubias by simply raising my lights. start by going 3" up, let that run its course for about 2 week and see if gsa stops producing. if not go up again 3", once gsa stops and you have been watching for a while (1 month), start lowering 1-1.5 inch every 2 weeks till gsa returns. this will find your sweet spot.

Make sure you photoperiod is between 6-8 hours. anything above this is way to much for a new planted tank.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
The tank/plants needs complete nutrients.
Typically:
KNO3...K2SO4 is often substituted if nitrate levels are high or added in addition to in order to add Potassium(more) without adding more nitrogen(NO3)
KH2PO4...Phosphate mostly/helps/w the GSA
Plantex CSM+B...micro nutrients
If the GH is low...
MGSO4 and CaSO4...some MGSO4 sould likely be added even if the GH is not low because the Magnesium is low in the CSM+B.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have been able to cut my lighting back and it has helped. Also have lower my water and sprayed the leaves with Excell and it killed the algae. Don't leave the Excell on the leaves much more than a minute or the leaf will die.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts