The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve been cycling a new Betta tank fishless for almost 2 weeks now, adding ammonia from Dr.Tims.

Ammonia has been zero for a few days, nitrites have stayed around 1ppm, it doesn’t seem to go lower, I had to do about a 10% WC yesterday (just skimmed the surface water off, didn’t disturb anything at all) as the Nitrates were of the scale.

At the end I plan to do a complete water change as instructed from Dr.Tim’s ammonia cycle. I don’t think I’ll physically be able to get 100% out as hardscape may prevent that, but I’ll be able to get about 80%.

Would anybody say it would be okay to do that now or wait longer, I haven’t dosed ammonia in almost a week now.

Tank will only house one Betta fish with live plants

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
185 Posts
i'd wait until nitrite goes to 0. it will rise to toxic levels in the next day or so, around the 2 week mark. then will drop pretty quickly. you need to continue dosing ammonia every few days. cycling without bacterial boosters usually takes about 1 month. go slow, be patient. your betta will thank you.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UPDATE:

So my nitrites have risen up to between 3-4ppm, maybe even 5ppm depends how you look at the colour.

Anyway, it hasn’t gone down at all, it’s actually getting higher & now I’m starting to get a fair amount of Algae on leaves & on the sand bed.

I’m still adding 2ml of stability a day, I might bring that down to 1ml as I think I’ve added more than enough for the initial start.

Ammonia goes down within 24 hours of adding.

I tend to add every 3-4 days as if I keep adding it when it hits 0ppm it just gets the nitrites and nitrates to ridiculous levels and I’m worried it’ll just kill all the plants before I can water change and start ferts.

Any advice, it’s almost been 3 weeks now, it may even be closer to 4 weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts