The Planted Tank Forum banner
61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Then I'm in the right crowd. :)
Definitely!
My beautiful DBV (also from Soothing Shrimp) have started to give birth a few weeks ago, and now my tank is swarming with little shrimplets. The first mom just got berried again (I even got to see her mate), while the last of my five females is still waiting to give birth. Watching all this close up, mostly with a magnifying glass, has been such an amazing experience!

How wonderful you can share this with some of your kids! :icon_smil

·
Registered
50 Posts
The magnifying glass helps, particularly in the beginning. i think they are about 2mm small when they hatch. Since they all seemed to hang out in the java moss jungle initially, I could often spot one or the other. But knowing now how many it must have been - they hide really well. But it's so exciting when you spot them, and then another one... They are very cute, those little guys!

I hope everything goes well for your mother-to-be!

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
Once you know what baby shrimp look like, they won't be too hard to find if you are looking for them. When they first hatch they'll be clear white, and then they'll color up in the first day or so.

With BV you'll see the babies turn reddish, and then start to grow blue, and by juvie age the red color will be fading away.

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
Moss never hurt any shrimp. heh I like to put moss in my back corner and leave the rest of the tank free so I can keep a close eye on my shrimp. The babies will start hanging on the glass to eat any algae food/biofilm.

Then again, I have to pay close attention for selection, and so I don't have a planted tank.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Yeah, but I have all these plants! :eek5:

And I put a great big piece of driftwood in my BBRR tank (just so it makes lots of places where I can't see shrimp). It does hold the sponge filter in place (suction cup doesn't seem to work well against the back of the Evolve tanks... it won't hold in my new one, either), so I guess it's serving a function as well as giving me a place to glue moss.

I did take the big rock out of my yellow tank so I could see the shrimp better. They kind of blended in with the rock.

Lucky me... I do have lots of green stuff growing on my glass, so maybe it won't be too hard to see babies after all. :cool:

·
Registered
435 Posts
Updated the yellow shrimp tank because it needed something. Ordinarily I don't go for cheesy tank ornaments, but the family agreed we had to get a Tardis. So... the yellow shrimp will get to play all timey-wimey when they get here tomorrow. LOL
So cool! My 7-year-old daughter and I are are huge Dr. fans and her jaw dropped at that pic.

I hereby dub this body of water: "Emily Pond".

61 - 80 of 100 Posts