The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two stems of tonina, and they are starting to brown out at the stem. Top is green but the brown is killing all the leaves in the middle and creeping its way up. I'm on my way out to work right now so I will take a picture later tonight. If anyone can start the thread off with questions or advice, I am all ears! :icon_wink

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I had 1 stem of toning lotus blossom melt on me while the others did just fine, I have no idea why it melted either, maybe others can elaborate...

image taken March 4rth

current picture, still left the stem in there because the bottom throwing out a $ide$hoot

Perhaps since the top is doing well, and bottom browning out, it could be a light issue

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Basically be gentle replanting them and also make sure they have good lighting, you cannot over do lighting on this plant.

when you cut them, use scissors, and make sure to not cut them too short, otherwise the light might not be enough for recovery.

You can also float them to get them to produce side shoots, this is messy, so I do not use this method. I get a fast rate of growth and some side shoot production due to high light, so that supplies enough plants for sale here and there.

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
It isn't a lack of CO2.

What is your temperature and GH/KH?

How many days did this take to happen from when you first saw issues?

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
I would not try and grow them in a non CO2 tank.

SJ has some harder KH's, GH is not important as long as you have enough for both which SJ tap does.

Also, place them in th middle of the tank, not on the side where there's little/less light. Put them in CO2 rich water, 4x 39W on a 40 Breeder screams for you to use CO2.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
It isn't a lack of CO2.

What is your temperature and GH/KH?

How many days did this take to happen from when you first saw issues?
Temp seems fine
Might be hard water issue, as this plant does well in ro, high co2, high light, fertz
can figure out later
but what causes melting other than hot temperature or lack of co2? Ive had a lot of plant melting and plant losses to learn my lesson, either give up or listen to people who are able to grow plants well, takes experience and listening
In good conditions this plant transitions well

In your response, I shall read and learn more

1 - 14 of 14 Posts