The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone used/have experience with these?

80 gph mini canister seems like a nice addition to a small tank for 22 bucks. Do they work well, or lousy, or?

·
Are these real?
15,750 Posts
These work well on a small tank, a 10gal would probably be stretching it. Perfect for a 5gal. Don't expect it to put out 80gal/hour, maybe without media.

I have a ZooMed 501 which is very similar to Toms. Not using it anymore, but when I did, it was quiet and reliable. Maintenance is a bit trickier compared to a full size (and price) canister filter since you don't have shutoff/quick release valves.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I have one. Actually I have one of each the tom's and the 501.
The intake and return fittings are kind of cumbersome and are very limiting as to where you can place them. Where the 501 had better placement options and the ablity to cut the spraybar and intake tubes down to whatever size you need is nice. trying this on the toms would destroy the tubes.
anyways I have one of each on my 20 gal. And they both seem to be somewhat lacking for water flow. An upgrade will be soon comming.

·
Registered
706 Posts
i have, or should say had both also. used the toms first on my crs tank and it puts out maybe 30 gpm with media in it, which was perfect for my shrimp only tank. i had 2 die in 3 months (you get what you pay for). got a 501 next and while it puts out only about as much water as the toms, its still going strong and just as quiet as when i installed it. it doesnt have shut off valves though so cleaning is interesting to say the least (i clean without removing the spray bar/intake tubes). i also have a couple of Eheim 2213's but the flow rate is much to high for my application and tank size (i use them on a 20L on 30B and they are just right). Baka is sending me a couple of the discontinued 2211's which i'll try also.

if you have a choice, go with the 501.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I had to decide on which filter to go with on my little mini and I liked the 501 more when it came down to it but I luckily found 2 eheim 2211's for $50 total so it worked out better for me.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
which one do you recommend blacksunshine? i'm about to get 2 tom's cause it's cheaper than the 501 but only marginally
Of the two I'd have to reccomend the 501 out of the box.
honestly the hoses and the intake/return are a major PITA. If I keep mine (*Hint* I may be selling one of these very soon) I'm probably going to keep the 501. Altho the toms has a really cool flow rate indicator. The hoses and piping annoys me. If I were to keep the Toms some serious modifications are in order. IE. replace the wrinkle tube and fixed in/outlets.

The 501 allows for much more flexiblity with the intake and return. because you can actually change the orentation.
I will try and take and actually post a pic tonight so you can see what I'm talking about.

But honestly if you're considering getting two and they are for the same tank. I'd just get a eheim ecco or a xp1.

where do you get these?
I got mine off ebay. I'm sure there are some stores that carry tom's pet products tho.

·
Registered
420 Posts
where do you get these?
I just received my 501 Zoomed in the mail yesterday.

I bought it on Ebay. I haven't set it up in the tank yet, but I did assemble it and everything looks good! It says it's made in Italy.

I will be using this in a 6.6 Gal Bookshelf tank, so I am sure it will be ok.

I would definately chose Zoomed over Tom's.

How small is your tank?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I will be using this in a 6.6 Gal Bookshelf tank, so I am sure it will be ok.
I have that same tank. Petco?

You're going to need to cut the intake tube and depending on how you orentate it you will prob need to cut the spray bar too.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have that same tank. Petco?

You're going to need to cut the intake tube and depending on how you orentate it you will prob need to cut the spray bar too.

Yah I just realized that, reading thru some Threads on here! Cool :biggrin: But then you said you are using the 501 for your 20 Gal??

Yeh, although I feel like I got kind of robbed, since the filter that came with it is garbage and I'm not using any of the gawdy ornaments.. the lighting I am using as a light in my room HAHA! I am turning my tank around, flat side out and going open top.. so basically, I spent like $50 on the tank alone!! But I love the shape!! So I am going to stop griping...

Humm.. I just noticed that about the intake/outake too, when I looked at it yesterday... Did you dremel it? I can't think of anything else to cut it with.

Do you know if there is such a thing as a bendable spray bar??

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Just pick your spot and use a utility knife. Place the material on your cutting board and roll the utility blade with some pressure to create a groove. A couple of passes is enough to get through it all...

If you have a dremel with a cut off wheel that would be faster.

Where did you find that tank? :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.