The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
First post :) I got into keeping an aquarium earlier this year when I decided to keep a yabby(cherax destructor) as a pet. Quickly I learned that he earned the name destructor for a reason and have since wanted a tank I can actually put some plants and fish in. Though I do still love vicious little Monty:icon_roll

I'm sort of jumping in the deep end here, I plan on putting together a low-tech tank going by the guide at sudeepmandal.com/hobbies/planted-aquarium/low-tech-planted-tank-guide/

What I currently have set up:

• 4foot 200litre tank
  • Eheim classic 2215 canister filter
  • Eheim Jager 200W heater
  • a 2xT5HO light fixture hung above the tank
  • 1x6700k 54w T5HO light, hung about 12cm above the water line
I have a rough idea of what I want and how I want to set it up, did a few sketches this morning to put my ideas on paper. I'm goin for a sort of underwater ruins look using a headless statue of a buddhist monk I've had since I was a kid. I want to grow some anubias nana and some moss on the statue itself.

Any suggestions for plants to add on the left side of the tank?

Here are the sketches:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hi Tom,
What a great hobby. I have been at this for a year now and can share a few of my observations. First, thank you for the excellent link to the low-tech guide. I haven't had a chance to read all of it, but it seams accurate based on my experience.

My 2 Cents;
54 Watts should give you plenty of light for your low tech setup, but you failed to mention the watts for the 2 X T5HO. With T5HO, 1.8WPG will grow anything, but is considered high light, requiring CO2 enrichment to the water column. With just the one T5HO over 200L (50 gallons?) you will get slow sustained growth. I do add DIY CO2 to my tank (1.2wpg), because it is a nutrient and I find it does provide healthier plant growth. As an example, dwarf hair grass will do better with CO2 enrichment.

The filter you mention would be undersized according to the guide,
Make sure that you have a good filter with adequate flow (At least 10-15 times the tank volume per hour)
My experience with a flow @ five times the tank volume per hour, is I needed to increase the flow by adding additional powerheads. Canister filters IMO, always have a lower flow rate (20% less) then what they advertise.

Cryptocoryne parva http://www.aquapage.eu/Plants.php?hledani=LAT&detail=156#156

Good luck with that vicious little Monty, very cool!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey =) Thanks for the reply.

You're probably right...I've been a bit worried about the amount of flow I'll have actually, I just really dislike the look of powerheads etc in the tank. I guess I could hide one in there though.

I probably should have been clearer, It's a 2x 54w T5HO fixture with only the one T5 tube in there. I got it in case I ever feel the need to upgrade to pressurised co2.

I feel like I've read a lot about crypts being temperamental, melting etc. I thought I'd just steer clear.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.