The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
here's my main display/shrimp tank. It's been running for about 6 mo. this was my first planted tank so scaping wasnt planned too well ahead

SIZE:15gal ish?? idk lol the lfs guy told me it was 55gal, and everything they say must be true!
FILTER:rena xp1
CO2:pressurized co2
LIGHTING:zoomed aquasun 2x24w
SUBSTRATE:stratum
FERT:kent's marine proplant & iron and manganese. im too lazy to do ei but i've found this fert to be AMAZING!!! or atleast works for what im doing.

FAUNA: betta, RCS, otto, 1 amano, and recently...RAMSHORN!!!!!
FLORA:asian ambulia, DHG, anubias, and a crypt(can someone help me id it, it turned out a foot larger then i thought lol)

about 1mo in

removed the crypt. it literally took over half the tank. my mistake thinking it was a smaller strain. just recently noticed little plantlets that was left over :eek:

yea there's actually a chunk of wood in there somewhere lol ;)

anubias

side view

downoi. im afraid of it melting so it's staying afloat for now :red_mouth

xmas moss i got from a trip to the nature aquarium store in la

My betta, he love stalking the shrimp during feeding time :icon_frow

DUN DUN

DUN DUN

DUN DUN

I need help id this snail, i've never had snails before so im assuming it came from the downoi and or moss.

my counter :icon_wink

fert n co2, never had an issue using kents, so im sticking with it

·
Registered
50 Posts
I love all that grass!! and the shots of the betta stalking the shrimp are great. I'm trying to grow a forest for my betta to swim through.
Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
feeding time!!!

my only surviving amano from my old tank.

SURPISE!!! look who showed up.

i think im addicted. a 5.5 moss tank im getting up and running

·
Registered
544 Posts
what did you use on the driftwood to tie down the moss? I've always used thin black string and it never seems to hold extremely well.

And you an amazing picture there! I'm referring to the one of the shrimp army standing up to the betta. That is classic! Such a great photo!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great job on the moss rocks
thank you, it was a chore. i had to force a certain someone to help me lol

Good idea! I am going to do that with Riccia.
im currious to how itll turn out. i love ricca stones!!! i wish my lfs carries more of a variety. i had to drive to la for the moss lol.

what did you use on the driftwood to tie down the moss? I've always used thin black string and it never seems to hold extremely well.

And you an amazing picture there! I'm referring to the one of the shrimp army standing up to the betta. That is classic! Such a great photo!
funny thing, i was looking for black thread around the house but couldnt find any. i had to use hemp cord from my crafting proj to tie them down lol. plus they break off easily so within a few months it'll be fine. From my exp black string is the best. if i have to take it off, chances are it's not rooted lol. i let it deteriorate within the water.

thank you lol. i built the tank for the shrimps and the day i introduced mr fishy, he took it over. he doesnt even eat the algae wafers, he just likes to tell everyone...HE"S THE MAN!!!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Your tanks and Betta looks great. That pic of him sticking his head through the plants is awesome. Reminds me of the part in Jurassic Park where they see the T-Rex and say "if you dont move, he cant see us." lol

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it's been a few days so here's an update.

downoi floating and growing beatifuly. it finally "rooted" itself onto some hairgrass:bounce::bounce::bounce:

asian ambulia is truly a fast grower. it grew about 10 inches within one week. time for a trim

once it takes root, it'll start creeping around the substrate sending up new plants

remember the 12 in monster that took over the left side of the tank then was removed? IT"S BACK!!!:eek:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
WATER CHANGE DAY!!!

before

trimmed dhg...FINALLY!!!

i can finally see it without standing up

THE CRYPT!!! DUN DUN DUNNNNN!!!

they're bushing quite nicely

side view

mr betta and an almost frc. debating if i should separate the frcs.

never knew how many rcs in there til now.:icon_eek:

i need to retrim the dhg next week to even it out. it was hard using kitchen scisor to mow the lawn. I decided to keep the crypt and wait til it grows to a foot long, separate it, then whoever wants a snip of it is more then welcome to it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Your tanks and Betta looks great. That pic of him sticking his head through the plants is awesome. Reminds me of the part in Jurassic Park where they see the T-Rex and say "if you dont move, he cant see us." lol
i've been debating on his removal from the tank, but seeing how much fun he has, i cant bear to go through with it. I always sit and watch him go on the hunt during feeding time lol

Ambulia grows like crazy and Crypts come back as long as there is enough root/rhizome left.

Tank looks great.
thank you, before this tank i thought i couldnt grow anything, so i decided on ambulia...i bet it'll grow without water light or ferts.

Nice looking tanks. I see you have fresh breath and pretty hair too Is all of your moss X-mass moss? Regular cotton thread will work better on your driftwood and be less visible too. As for the rocks, superglue will eliminate the mesh showing.
yes all my moss are x mas. couldnt find any other and never had luck with java. lol about the thread, hemp cord was the best that i had at the time...i dont understand what you meant with the superglue.

Very nice tank, how many gallons, and what light are you using?
lol when i made the purchase. the lfs guy told me it was a 55gal. i havent measure the tank yet, but im guessing around 15gal. for the light, im using the zoomed aquasun t5-ho 2x24w i use their flora sun & ultra sun bulbs. I LOVE IT!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts