The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
looks like he added some lights since we where last there.

No floaties or snorkel:)... I guess you kick up a lot of dirt and probably can't see much... I think I would do maintenance for free if I could swim in that tank, well... maybe not 30hrs is LONG time to work on a tank.

I noticed you have had CO2 problems from the start. First it was the leaky manifold or something, I hope you figure it out so you can implement a tried and true system when you attempt this at the zoo. It seems the systems we use are very useful on lots of inputs like you use on this tank. Are you still using diffusers in the tank or just the venturis?

Don't drown on us. How Ironic would that be the Planted tank guru killed by a planted tank.:)

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it's due to the two types of CO2 systems, one sucks air(Venturi's), and one produces lots of backpressure(Disc). Now we added copper hard line and run that directly into separate systems for each type of diffusion, and added some Metering needle valve that are much more accurate, the independent CO2 systems and regs/tank for each method works out very well.

I think that works fine now.
I think using a set of 400 w and 250 w would have done better for lower lighting.

HC never took even with direct CO2 mist+ADA aqua soil + plenty of ferts and light. I think it cannot grow well at such depths.
Too much water pressure.

Hair grass grew in for it's place and is really doing well now.
Fortunately for the client, after spending lots of time trying various plants, he's given up on high maintenance foreground plants and went to things like grass, Crypts, downoi, Erios.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
862 Posts
Wow!
I would be like a bull in a china shop. I am way too clumsy to pull off intank pruning. Just imagine the ridiculous RAOK you could do after the trim though. :p

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Next time maybe don a snorkel and mask? At least for a photo. That would be hilarious!

·
Registered
375 Posts
That picture should be one of those "caption this" posts!

Already got my entry!

·
Registered
670 Posts
gang Tom you get to have all the fun. The rest of us are just plain jealous.
I agree the snorkel would make a good picture.:icon_evil What you need is a skinny little assistant (about 10 yrs or so) that you can just grab by the ankles and lower in.:icon_eek:

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
wow dont you like kill all the foreground stuff? that some big tank, doesnt seem much fun swimmin in fish poop
then drinking it by accident

·
Registered
705 Posts
man and i think doing a major trim on my 75 gallon is a pain :hihi: I hope the owner is paying you more than minimum wage to do a job like that :hihi:

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
ewwww nice of you to mention it. Tom you can swim in the fish poop I guess I'll pass.
Ever go swimming in a lake??

Very cool picture! I can't ever get my mind around jumping in a tank to trim the plants.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
That would be fun for a while, but I bet it would get old if I had to do it for 30 hrs...hopefully not straight though :p
So what happens if you're already in there (wet, muddy, etc) and you have to take a whiz? Let it fly? lol
The sheer scale and time spent on something like this makes me feel foolish for the occasional procrastination on trimming my 90g....and it usually just takes me 2-3 hrs, not 30!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Ever go swimming in a lake?? .
thats what i was thinkin...:hihi:

or a major river after a hard rain....(think sewage treatment plant)

·
Registered
594 Posts
That would be fun for a while, but I bet it would get old if I had to do it for 30 hrs...hopefully not straight though :p
So what happens if you're already in there (wet, muddy, etc) and you have to take a whiz? Let it fly? lol
The sheer scale and time spent on something like this makes me feel foolish for the occasional procrastination on trimming my 90g....and it usually just takes me 2-3 hrs, not 30!
Obviously you've never seen a discus fart? LOL. BLAME IT ON THE FISH OR THE FILTER! LOL. I was thinking after 20 hours your skin must really be like a prune!

Tina

·
Registered
228 Posts
The fishes are like OH MY GOD WHAT IS THAT lol.
I have a question how do you get out of the tank without using the glass as leverage and break it??

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
wow dont you like kill all the foreground stuff? that some big tank, doesnt seem much fun swimmin in fish poop
then drinking it by accident
That's why I float, so I do not mangle plants. I lightly hold myself up and replant and prune. If I bend over and into the tank, it waste your triceps, back and the bottom of the feet + you get a headache from being inverted, as well as sliding over your abs all day.

So you are sore everywhere.
This was a welcomed relief in work. I could not see BTW, just feel.

ADA AS stinks when it comes to redoing things, makes a huge mess.
But we placed a sump pump at one end and refilled the tank at the other to flush things out. I'd wished I'd used the Flourite or EC etc many times.....

But things have grown in and started to do well now.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Gee Tom, you are sure a big mermaid in the tank! :hihi:

Dont you get cold in there for so long hours? a wet suit help for sure.

Now I can imagine myself going into my coming soon pond... perhaps not so frequent for I intend to plant lower maintenance plants, and perhaps in pots so I can use very long tongs and foreceps to manouver the plants.

Perhaps the tank should be built with a floatie hanger by the top, so next time you could just suspend in the air while doing the job (just like how they work on cliffs and buildings).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts