Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VOTE

GET INVOLVED

Your future will be heavily impacted by today's outcome. Think about what both candidates stand for and what's important to you. Go out and make a statement.

Comments on the importance of the process ONLY please. :smile:

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
Wonder how many people even know how our voting system truly works and why it was designed the way it is.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Keep the candidates/parties out of this.

I voted a few weeks ago via absentee ballot. Pretty darn easy.
I'm waiting for my state get online voting. That would be nice and easy to vote through a browser.

Go Ohio!

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Hi DogFish,

I always vote, as an ex-serviceman I know the true cost of freedom and the value of having the ability to choose those who represent me.

I also respect those individuals that choose not to exercise their right to vote. However those individuals shouldn't be surprised if current conditions don't change nor complain about the state of economy, city, state, country, environment, etc. since it is obvious that they don't care - or they would have voted to change it.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Roy - I agree, obviously about or right to vote, also about people's right to protest the process.

I have been a bit more pragmatic in my protest in the years I was unsatisfied with the choices. I'm 55 and I've actually vote FOR a president 3Xs in my life. I've never missed and election sadly most of them I voted AGAINST the party I felt did not have the nation's best interest in mind in their platform.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice to see the younger members of the forum on this thread. You have more at stake than us Dinosaurs. :smile:

If you have any apathetic friends, text, tweet or just plain kick them in the butt. I'd love too see your generation get as fired up about this as we did in the 60s&70s. you know in the pre-historic days.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Roy - I agree, obviously about or right to vote, also about people's right to protest the process.

I have been a bit more pragmatic in my protest in the years I was unsatisfied with the choices. I'm 55 and I've actually vote FOR a president 3Xs in my life. I've never missed and election sadly most of them I voted AGAINST the party I felt did not have the nation's best interest in mind in their platform.
LOL, sometimes it's not about voting for the best candidate but voting for the least worst one. I never vote a 'straight ticket' but have always always voted for the individuals that I felt best reflected my views or desired course. No political party has a lock on the best qualified individuals to represent my views.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Nice to see the younger members of the forum on this thread. You have more at stake than us Dinosaurs. :smile:

If you have any apathetic friends, text, tweet or just plain kick them in the butt. I'd love too see your generation get as fired up about this as we did in the 60s&70s. you know in the pre-historic days.
You guys make me feel TOO young. I've always voted in local and state elections but this is my first presidential election, so I was pretty excited! (Is it really odd to actually care about voting?) I find my peers are very apathetic to the democratic process, but to the point of letting their voices go unheard? Especially after whining about the state of it?

I actually filled my car and took 4 friends to a booth, I myself voted via mail but they hadn't done that so I made them do it; I didn't even let them do it themselves, I dragged them out of their rooms and put them in my car! :bounce:

LOL, sometimes it's not about voting for the best candidate but voting for the least worst one. I never vote a 'straight ticket' but have always always voted for the individuals that I felt best reflected my views or desired course. No political party has a lock on the best qualified individuals to represent my views.
This is why I say that I don't really believe in it... between the electoral college voting against their district votes and politicians that lie to pander to the masses I don't know what to believe. There hasn't been any candidate whose policies I can totally agree with in the past 200 years.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Greatest country in the world, express your opinion - VOTE, and help keep it that way ! Just a shame(in my opinion) that some people provide Millionaire's with money to sling mud at each other !!! Snuffy317

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'd love to see people get as fired up now as they did in the 60s about being involved in their government, but remember that those people were coming out of a terrifying time in America's history. We haven't had a cause to rally around in decades. Remember after 9/11? For a couple weeks, nobody was democrat or republican or independent or whatever, we were all AMERICAN. That's what I want to see again.

...Without the death toll, preferably.

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
Absentee ballot for me. No lines no waiting.

I wish they had a "None of the above" choice.

·
Registered
243 Posts
VOTE

GET INVOLVED

Your future will be heavily impacted by today's outcome. Think about what both candidates stand for and what's important to you. Go out and make a statement.

Comments on the importance of the process ONLY please. :smile:

Yes it is important. May I point out there are more candidates on the ballot than two? You can also make a statement about how many choices you want.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
....I actually filled my car and took 4 friends to a booth, I myself voted via mail but they hadn't done that so I made them do it; I didn't even let them do it themselves, I dragged them out of their rooms and put them in my car!....
OUTSTANDING EFFORT!!!

I'd love to see people get as fired up now as they did in the 60s about being involved in their government, but remember that those people were coming out of a terrifying time in America's history....
You bring up an interesting point. No question the impact of 911 changed us forever. It an event that ranks with the Civil War, the dropping of the atomic bomb, Peal Harbor and the 19th Amendment as landmarks in out History.

While I was very touched by the loss of civilian American lives, I can't say I was terrified as much as I was insulted. I when to ground zero in 2002, when I saw the steel beam cross I could not hold bak the tears. I remember turning to leave and I locked eyes with NYC Cop about my age. He say my face and he ahead a tear, walked over and hunger me.

Honestly, If I have any terror about our nations future it would be the fear of economic collapse. Historically, more nations fail from economic failures than anything.

I feel we need less emphasis on the the almighty dollars and more on the quality of life of our people.

If there's one legacy of my generation I would true love the 20-30 yo to have it would be to question authority. Think for yourselves.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Just doing my part as an American citizen!

While I was very touched by the loss of civilian American lives, I can't say I was terrified as much as I was insulted. I when to ground zero in 2002, when I saw the steel beam cross I could not hold bak the tears. I remember turning to leave and I locked eyes with NYC Cop about my age. He say my face and he ahead a tear, walked over and hunger me.

If there's one legacy of my generation I would true love the 20-30 yo to have it would be to question authority. Think for yourselves.
Hell yeah man! I'm all about questioning the "facts", people hate me for it. (It's how I came to the truth about Marijuana) They're always yelling "why don't you just accept it? you always have something to say against it!"

If you can't convince me that I should believe what you believe, why are you believing it yourself in the first place?! Just because someone told you it was that way?!

I turned to science, now I'm a scientist, and now I won't believe anything you say until you provide concrete data. :proud:

Numbers are perfect, but those aren't the only forms of data, people forget that proof isn't just doing some experiments and keeping boring academic journals!

As for the PoPo, I've never had a cop hug me, I would be very afraid. I have a very negative view of law enforcement officers, as I've NEVER met a respectable cop.

I'm not saying they don't exist, just that all the ones I've had displeasure of running into have been quite d-baggy.

But I digress, thread hijacking /end.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.