The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all and my first post here. A friend of mine suggested this would be a great place to share some photos. I recently had the opportunity to visit Segrest Farms in Florida to photo some of their stock. I took close to 3500 photos of about a thousand different species of fish. Great time.

A few of the "models" really stood out. One of the coolest fish that I've ever photographed was this enormous Betta called macrostoma. It really reminded me of a snakehead with the shape of it's head and eyes. I'm not a Betta guy...but seeing these beauties made me rethink the tank situation. :naughty:

Anyone here ever kept these? What kind of experience?

Male and female

I love taking photos of fish in not so common poses.

If you are a Betta junkie...I put 21 other photos on Segrest's Gallery: http://goo.gl/IS4it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sweet pics from you as always, and welcome to the forums :D
Does this mean you are going to be getting into the planted scene now?

:) The last time I tried plants in my tank it just became debris. Most of the fish I keep are the Central American Cichlids...diggers. I can't even grow duckweed. LOL

Thanks for the props!

Mo

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
those are neat pictures.
there are a few threads on here about a breeding setup, i believe. those seem to be the most common way to keep these fish, as male-female pairs kept for breeding.
those threads should be a good resource to give you ideas about the tank size, temps, etc. also there is a "wilds" section of the betta forum ultimatebettas.com that will undoubtedly have some b. macrostoma info.
all i can tell you about them is they are not as aggressive as b. splendens, and i think they preffer cooler temps. and that they cost quite a bit more.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
:) The last time I tried plants in my tank it just became debris. Most of the fish I keep are the Central American Cichlids...diggers. I can't even grow duckweed. LOL

Thanks for the props!

Mo
Oh yah, I forgot about that. I've been messing with keeping certain larger cichlids with plants though and so far I've actually had successes in that area.

I mean, if I can get a geophagus into a planted tank and have that work, I'm sure some of the other central americans can be done as well. And I'm pretty sure you've also seen that one Midas, Junior, that was kept in like a 125 with plants and platies.....so anything is possible with the right amount of experimenting :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts