The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im thinkin about a 65w aqualight for a 15gal long. basically what i'm getting at is should i get a glass top or just leave it open? i have a cat who loves anything with water. what about dust?

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Topless is the only way to go. I use a heater so don't worry about heat loss. I found the light distribution was better with legs and no glass top, you will loose a little water from evaporation but it isn't too bad.

The cat won't drink a noticeable amount of water.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I use glass tops on my 55g (because of jumpers), but not on the 29g. I'd rather go topless with the 55g, but my Yoyo loaches won't let me. ;) If you don't need a glass top, I wouldn't get one. It just looks better without one IMO.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a 10,000K, 28-watt coralife aqualight (I think that's the right name; it's at home) over my 10 gallon tank and the light is on legs. Looks futuristic. I have a store-bought, two-piece, 20"-long, about 8"-wide glass cover that covers about 4/5 of the tank, but I have also a HOB filter, so the lack of complete glass coverage is okay. I think the cover does hold in some heat from the heater and any generated from the light, and that's okay since it's winter. When spring gets here and the ambient temperature rises (and I don't use the room heater as much if at all), I'll probably remove the cover. After all, I don't have any jumping fish and I like the idea of having a better view of the fish and plants because the cover collects moisture, is a bit dirty (water stains), and it reflects the light, all making viewing more difficult. Finally, humidity added to our dry New Mexico air is always a plus.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Lights

320 Watts over a 110 Gallon, open top. Glass will remove some (I've heard 8%) of the light reaching the bottom of the tank, so an open top is best. In my tank I lose about 1 1/2 gallons every two days to evaporation.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Make sure you get the stationary legs if you want to use a top, not the swing up legs as they clamp onto the inside if the tank lip.

I have a glass top on mine, simply because I have a girlfriend that likes to spray smelly junk into the air all the time. I do notice that it blocks out some light, particularly where the hinge strip is, I use the top for double strip lights which works better as the front door is a thinner peice of glass and allows for less obstruction of light from the hinge strip.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.