The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...

I've got a new Eheim 2217 on the way to replace my 2215.

Wondering what's the best method of changing over...should I seed the new filter? Or, could I add the bio media from my 2215 to the new filter and be OK?

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Dave.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Yup - move all the bio media over and use the new stuff to fill in as needed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for chiming in.

@Jester946:
I'm not expecting a huge boost in flow. This is for a 40B. I just need a little bit more to power through the ista reactor. Plus, I'm thinking about getting a Mr Aqua 17 sometime...the 2215 would make a nice filter for that tank.

·
Registered
12,433 Posts
Moving all the media from the old to the new will only lose you the bacteria hanging on walls and tubing of the filter. Likely not enough loss to bother at all. Sounds like a real smart (but sneaky) move. Media included in the new? Save enough out to fill the old?

·
Registered
11,717 Posts
Ditto the other dittos:
All the old media has beneficial bacteria. Use it all in the new filter.

When you get another tank, before you get fish, you can use a little bit of the cycled media to jump start the fishless cycle in the new set up.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
You can move all the media and so on, but I'm lazy. I'd just set up the new filter and run both of them on the tank for 2 or 3 weeks. Then remove the old one. By that time, the new filter will have a fine bacteria base,

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again for all help, you guys!

I'm thinking about filling the new filter with my existing media and keeping the new media in the bag. That way if I don't pull the trigger on a second tank in due time, I can sell the 2215 with unused bags of mech & bio media.

May also keep the same volume of media in the new filter since I don't support a big bioload (and don't plan on changing that). Hopefully, that would also increase the flow I'd get through the 2217. Anybody see harm in that plan?

Again thanks for the help!

-Dave.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I don't recommend the following as I doubt it even works. I just found it interesting.

I've seen a few you tube videos where they squeeze the filter sponge from an established tank into a cup and pours the dirty water into another tank and calls it cycled.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I don't recommend the following as I doubt it even works. I just found it interesting.

I've seen a few you tube videos where they squeeze the filter sponge from an established tank into a cup and pours the dirty water into another tank and calls it cycled.
I've heard that as well. I imagine it would be difficult to make the bacteria free floating by squeezing.

·
Registered
180 Posts

Ive done it successfully with 3 tanks now. A 10, 20, and 55. The bacteria builds up over time. If you smell that earthy aroma you have the bacteria in spades.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.