The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Need some second opinions on these SAE. I'm not the best photographer so I'm hoping that these are detailed enough to get some good opinions from. I bought these three SAE at Aquarium Adventure in Hoffan Estates, IL. Labeled as SAE's. I'm beginning to think these are fake SAEs (Garra taeniata) and NOT true SAEs (Crossocheilus siamensis). I need alittle help to make sure I judge this correctly.

Behaviorly these have not eaten any algae to this date. Since I started dry ferts I'm getting more hair algae which these three have not touched. When these were cought and moved from my 75G planted tank into my 10G quarantine tank the black stripe lightens up considerably, but returns to dark black soon afterwards. These are not jumpers by anymeans.

Visually I'm seeing a non-jagged black stripe an a light stripe between the black and upper brown body color. There seems to be some faint yellow tint to the fins but it is pretty difficult to tell for sure.

**no black spot on the underbellies is visible. Pretty much determined that I'll be sourcing some true algae eating SAE's once warmer weather hits. Thanks for everyone's kind help!!!!!**

·
Registered
227 Posts
That link is FAQ worthy. It explains a lot. I always wondered why people said their SAEs were fat cigars and mine were small and skinny.

·
Registered
762 Posts
think they are flying fox. true sae's black stripes goes all the way across. from the tip of there face all the way to the end of there tail. also the coloring is off. the ones you have seem to be dark at the top then lighter at the bottom...def flying fox you have there, they look pretty nice tho.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies!!!!!!
Wow I never ran into those links when searching for info. Great, that info will help out a ton to help me ID these. Judging from the photos and info I'm not sure if these are flying foxes. Looks like the fale SAEs (Garra cambodgiensis or Garra taeniata).
These are nice looking, healthy, and entertaining but they don't serve the duty I needed in my 75G. I thought about taking them back but might just keep them in my quarantine tank.

I'm expecting my new challenge is finding some Crossocheilus langei for my tank. I'll probably have to hold out until spring. :frown:

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
They are not true SAE. If they are still in your QT tank, think seriously before you let them loose in your main tank. They are impossible to catch in a planted tank without tearing the whole tank down. If you're shopping in person for an SAE, you'll be able to get a good look at them in the bag before you leave the store. Check their bellies for that dark smudge spot! Even the little ones have a little smudge spot there. Mgamer is a member here also, that's where I got mine. You might find some reliable sellers on aquabid too, but ask for a pic of the fish from the vendor first. I would.

·
Registered
89 Posts
also to add my sae are all the same body color with a black stripe. these in your pictures have a whitish belly and borwn top. mine are all brownish with a black strip all the way threw the tail.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts