The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
What is the size of the tank? If you don't really feel like fixing it, you could always set it somewhere with water for a few weeks to see how it does.

If it works, that may be a good sign, but I am always of the thought "better safe than sorry".

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a 75 gallon. I guess I should reseal it because I don't to have to wait weeks to test. I figure I could do it tomorrow and have water in it Sunday or Monday. This will be the first time I had to seal a tank this size. I hope I get it right the first time. I breed bearded dragons and had them in that tank. When they are ready to lay eggs, they dig like crazy. I just haven't seen them rip away the silicone before. Damn Dragons!!

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I guess it's the best bet. It's not that big of a job.

Yes, You have to remove all of the old silicone and replace it all. Silicone that sticks to silicone would be nice though. :) I have done plenty of 10g tanks before when I worked a big LFS. This will be the first time on a 75. I guess you just have to work a little faster.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am a reptile breeder converted fresh/marine aquarium addict/professional, so I know what some of those herps can do the seams of a tank. I think that you have to weigh the potential risk, then decide. I have aquired many abused tanks so if I am not sure if they hold water they get setup in my basement with concrete floor and drain. On my hardwood floors upstairs...risky? What if the tank has a slow leak? Will you have a place to transfer the inhabitants safely so repairs can be made? I have also patched questionable seams without redoing the whole tank. IMHO that seam doesn't apear too bad, make sure the tank is leveled b4 filling and be able to watch for slow leaks.

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, those little guys do some work on the seems when you're not looking. I took out all of the silicon tonight. Every last bit. I guess it took about 2 hours so that wasn't too bad. I cleaned up every last drop. I will put the new silicone on tomorrow afternoon. Fridays for me are half days at work! 4 9s and a 4. every week! ;) Thinking about filling it up Sunday night. I might take Monday off to set it up. :)

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just the exposed silicone. No need to take the panels apart This tank is only about 6 years old. Just try not to dig at the primary silicone seal between the panels to much.

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I sealed it Friday and filled it today. :D Here are some updated pics!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, all is good. I waited 48 hours before adding water. I hooked up my xp3 last night and am getting ready now to transfer some HC, Dwarf Hairgrass, Lace plant and wisteria from my other tank. Maybe some swords and dwarf sag also.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.