The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed the temp in my shrimp (RCS & Amano)/L-046 zebra pleco tank was 2 degrees cooler and the flow of the filters was allot slower, so I decided to clean out my filter. The water level was also low, due to evaporation, so I decided to do a water change, while I was cleaning out the filter. I opened up the filter (Eheim Ecco 2234) and removed the media trays and poured the water remaining in the filter into a clear container. I did this in case I would have shrimp growing in the filter, since I remembered reading some threads with members finding shrimp in their filters. It was a good thing I did this, becuase I saw lots of shrimp in there, ranging in various sizes. It took awhile to net all the shrimp out and to put them back into the tank.

The shrimp weren't as brightly colored as the other RCS in my tank, so I would have to assume they are all males or maybe not enough nutritious foods, since they were feeding off the detritus in the filter. This also explains why the blue filter pad was very clean and the white pad was the only one that was very dirty.

Anyways, it's been around 9 months or so, since I last cleaned the filter. This explains why I had various sized RCS, from shrimplets (appeared to be about a few months old) to full grown adult RCS. I thought the pre-sponge filter I used (Mag pump pre-filter sponge), would be sufficient to keep the shrimp out. I'm now thinking of wrapping the filter intake with a net and then placing the pre-filter sponge over it. The net would prevent shrimplets from getting inside. The pre-filter sponge over it, would prevent it from getting too clogged with detritus.

I have yet to clean out the other filter (another Eheim Ecco 2234). I would have to think there maybe some shrimp in there as well. Prior to doing so, I plan to wrap the filter intake with the net, as I stated above. That way, I can be sure it will help keep any shrimplets out.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Isn't it amazing how hardy cherries are? LOL When I used to use a HOB filter, I would get cherries in there all the time (even when I used a prefilter sponge too). I found that most of them actually climbed into the HOB filter. Not only my cherries, but some of my Bees made their way in there! Yikes! But since I switched to a canister, I haven't noticed any in the filter. It wouldn't surprise me if there were though, even though I use a prefilter sponge on the intake. I just haven't broken the canister down all the way though; just enough to replace the filter floss and clean the fine filter pad.

So it really makes you think....those whose cherries die just in thier tank when introduced, have something REALLY bad in the water. I mean, if cherries can survive in the canister for months, then the dead cherries are telling you something IMPORTANT. LOL

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Yeah, unfortunately no matter how careful I am, a few always make that "last trip" down the drain when I clean the filter (which isn't done nearly as often as it should be.)

I'm sure your prefilter is plenty to keep the adults out, but the shrimplets get in there, and then grow up in there so that then you've got adults too. I must say the little Aquaclear I've got on my low-tech is easier to deal with errant shrimp as I can just pull the media basket out and pour 'em back in the main tank.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Prior to switching to a canister filter, I was using a Emperor 280 filter with a net wrapped around the filter intake. I never found any shrimp or shrimplets at all in the filter during the cleanings, so I would have to think the net was just small enough to keep the shrimplets out. This is why I'm planning to wrap the filter intake of my Eheim 2234 with the net also. I shouldn't have any problems with clogging, since the intake I'm using is actually the Eheim Installation sets, which are bigger and wider than the intakes/tubes the Eccos come with. I'm also going to place the same pre-filter sponge over it, as an additional aid to prevent any type of clogging. This also gives the shrimp room to forage off the sponge as normal.

·
Registered
428 Posts
In my Nano Cube I have what seems like a whole separate colony of Cherries in all 3 chambers of the filter compartments. They slip in the intake as babies and live there just fine eating all the stuff in there. Like someone said earlier they are duller in color I assume from the lack of any light. I've sucked them up with a turkey baster in the past and put them back in the tank where they will eventually color up after some time. Now I don't even bother any more. As hardy as these guys are I'm surprised they are not more abundant in ponds and lakes.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I had some RCS die initially, but now they're happy and breeding. I never thought to look in the canister for babies --- or maybe it's b/c I'm too lazy. I'll be sure to check though. I do have pany hose over the filter intake, but that's probably not 100% on keeping them out.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts

these marineland strainers are the best way to keep shrimp
out of your filter without restricting water flow and you
don't have to clean them as much as sponge pre-filters.
make sure you get the round tube version with the size
you need for your intake hose. the 3/4" fits most inlets.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts

these marineland strainers are the best way to keep shrimp
out of your filter without restricting water flow and you
don't have to clean them as much as sponge pre-filters.
make sure you get the round tube version with the size
you need for your intake hose. the 3/4" fits most inlets.
Baby shrimp will go right through that.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Yep -- I have a Marineland HOB filter with that exact strainer over the intake and I've found baby cherries in my filter, too.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I used my Emperor 280 in the old shrimp tank, I used a fish net over the filter intake. I never found any shrimps in the filter. This is what it looks like...

I cut up a piece of fish net and used silicone to keep it in place. It never clogged or restricted water flow, as far as I can tell. I'm going to use the same netting over the filter intake of the Eheim intakes and place the pre-filter sponge over it. I'll post a pick of the finally product.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I used to have an Emperor in the large tank. I used to have it covered like you, but the filter would then get noisy. I really really hated that filter. I will tell you this, last time i cleaned that tank out and removed the filter, i found about 6 adult RCS in there. They were red but has a weird translucency to them also. They were much much larger than the shrimp in the overcrowded 20GL.
I know most people do not talk about their dumb experience, but even i had a few that I am not proud of...
Heck once i was removing hornrwort from a breeder tank and threw it in a tupper for a week with a tiny bit of water before i gave it away to some one. As I removed the hornwort, in the tiny bit of water left, I found a small colony of new baby cherries that somehow survived.
Once I even found on in my axolotl quarnatine house when one of my new axolotls got sick. No idea how it got in there, but the meds/salts didn't kill it.
Once when I went away on vacation and the axolotl tank wasnt taken good care of, the tank recycled. All the ghost shrimp died of poisoning, but low and behold, the cherries still lived, and bred! axolotls were ok, only thing more hardy than those cherries i know of.
What can't these guys live through, besides no water :p

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I found like 20 babies in my canister when I emptied it in the bathtub. I spent 20 minutes frantically trying to return them to the tank. I have way too many, but I can't just let them go down the drain.....

·
Registered
845 Posts
Go to your local LFS and sell them there. They will most likely give you store credit (most do), but that's better than nothing. I'm sure you could find some things you need there. :)

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm too attached to my shrimp and could never feed them to fish. Even when I used to breed guppies and Endler's, the excess fry I had, I placed them in my 125 gallon tank for my fish to eat. I still felt sick watching them get eaten or chased. The next day, I took the fry out of the 125 gallon tank and placed them back with the rest of the guppies or Endler's.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts