The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I recently added a hydor 350 to my 20 long( it was on sale for less than the 250), and it seems the flow is super strong! This led me to a number of questions....... Is it too much flow? How much can I turn down the flow valves on the intake/outtake tubes before I cause long term damage to the filter? Is there any other way I can reduce the flow?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Not sure if they let you use the quick disconnects on the return side to limit flow like you can in Eheims, but worth looking into.

Other than that, look into poppy pipes or a coarse sponge that be wrapped around the spray bar or held over the inlet.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all the help!!!!! It does look like a hurricane in the tank so I have decided to return the filter and buy either an ehiem classic or fluval which would you recommend for a slightly overstocked tank with fish who prefer minimal flow?

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Thank you for all the help!!!!! It does look like a hurricane in the tank so I have decided to return the filter and buy either an ehiem classic or fluval which would you recommend for a slightly overstocked tank with fish who prefer minimal flow?
Well I know for sure as I own the Fluval 206 and 306 both you can control the flow and I believe the Eheim classic also but not 100% as I do not own an eheim. I love my fluvals.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
That's good to know I ordered a 206 that will be arriving tomorrow. Should that be enough for a 2o long?

Sure is. That's exactly what I have on my 20 long. No need to turn down the flow. Imo the flow for it is perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
I know you already ordered the Fluval, but something to consider if the topic comes up again. The Cobalt EXT canister has a lot of media space with adjustable flow. I think it's comparable in price with the added bonus of a couple unique features. I promise they aren't paying me to say this. 😝

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got my 206 today and decided to send it back and just keep the hydor and find ways to lower flow, the 206 just holds such a small amount of media compared to the 350. I did have another question though the intake tube on the hydor is just way too tall for my 20long is there any type of replacement intake tube I can buy from another brand that will be a more appropriate size.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I made a custom spray bar for my hydor 350 to help with the flow. You can also try enlarging the holes in your existing spray bar. However, like Nlewis said the easiest way is to partially close the valve on the output side of the filter, it definitely has one.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I got my 206 today and decided to send it back and just keep the hydor and find ways to lower flow, the 206 just holds such a small amount of media compared to the 350. I did have another question though the intake tube on the hydor is just way too tall for my 20long is there any type of replacement intake tube I can buy from another brand that will be a more appropriate size.
You can either cut it down or buy the correct length replacement pipe (sounds like you'd be most interested in a poppy pipe).

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I made a custom spray bar for my hydor 350 to help with the flow.
how did you go about doing that? I did shut the valve about half way, I am just not sure how much flow is too much flow.

Bump:
You can either cut it down or buy the correct length replacement pipe (sounds like you'd be most interested in a poppy pipe).
Is the poppy pipe fairly effective in reducing velocity, but still allowing for adequate flow? Any brands you recommend?

·
Registered
698 Posts
I just used grey, schedule 40 PVC and barbs (connects to tubing that comes with filter) to create my custom spray bar. Flow is a tricky thing. If the plants are staying planted you are probably fine with the flow. However, once you factor in fish/invertebrates you have to be a bit more mindful as some animals do not like a strong current while others do.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Is the poppy pipe fairly effective in reducing velocity, but still allowing for adequate flow? Any brands you recommend?
That is exactly the purpose of a poppy pipe. There are two types of flow - turbulent or laminar. With directed outflow like a lily pipe or shorter spray bar, you usually end up with turbulent flow (rough, directed). With poppy pipes or long spray bars with larger holes, you get a smoother, laminar flow. Both can move the same volume of water with very different characteristics.

I don't know of any real difference between viv, jardli, ADA, or any other popy pipes. You can also look at the spin ones. I'd just get whatever is cheapest. It's glass, and I'm my opinion, if you are rough enough to break a thinner one, it was probably rough enough to break a thicker one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.