The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to grow out some frogbit and duckweed, in a 5 gallon tank.

No fish no inverts.

10 watt flourcent light. Dosed with ferts via the pps pro method. (because i use this on all my other tanks)

I currenlt use flourish excel on the tank once a day.

My question is can i hook up a DIY co2 system and let it go all day night? will this help my plants at all?

I run a small sponge filter on this tank also... FYI

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
it will not help, they get all the co2 they need from the atmosphere
This is not true. I can't remember where, but if you do some research into CO2 vs. plant growth, you'll find that CO2 *always* helps. It's not always necessary, but it never hurts.

*edit* Depending on your reflector, and the distance above the tank, CO2 (or at least Excel) could possibly be actually necessary, and not just helpful. A single 10w CFL, nestled in a brooder lamp, immediately at the water's surface, for example, would be high light, and the plant/algae balance would not be manageable without a carbon source, possibly even beyond what Excel contributes.

·
Banned
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 5 gallon tank with a 10 w florescent blub so 2wpg

The tank is only half full, I have a sponge filter that run all day and night. Lights are on for 10 hours a day.

It is divided into one side, frogbit, the other duckweed. I also have java moss in the tank.

So what im asking is, If I put a DIY co2 in the tank will it help? I mean will my plants overdose on to much co2?! I mean the sponge filter should help oxygenate the water right?

In this situation is the sponge filter necessary?

I add water change water from my other tanks to this one.

any suggestions on how to improve growth rates?

·
Registered
518 Posts
I think what blazingwolf was trying to convey was that the floating plants are exposed to the open atmosphere because they float. The air around us contains all the carbon dioxide plants need. This is one of the benefits of the dry start method. It's basically like free co2. I don't think the floaters will really show any additional growth from co2 addition to the water. The java moss may however.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I think what blazingwolf was trying to convey was that the floating plants are exposed to the open atmosphere because they float. The air around us contains all the carbon dioxide plants need. This is one of the benefits of the dry start method. It's basically like free co2. I don't think the floaters will really show any additional growth from co2 addition to the water. The java moss may however.

This is correct, floaters do not need their roots surrounded by co2, quite the opposite as most if not all plants send oxygen to their roots which allows the symbiosis with the beneficial bacteria to survive, it also helps enrich the water colum with oxygen..

Floaters have direct gas access by being floating. They survive under water in low light situations but expose them to fresh co2 rich air and they grow like the weeds they are

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
This is not true. I can't remember where, but if you do some research into CO2 vs. plant growth, you'll find that CO2 *always* helps. It's not always necessary, but it never hurts.

*edit* Depending on your reflector, and the distance above the tank, CO2 (or at least Excel) could possibly be actually necessary, and not just helpful. A single 10w CFL, nestled in a brooder lamp, immediately at the water's surface, for example, would be high light, and the plant/algae balance would not be manageable without a carbon source, possibly even beyond what Excel contributes.

Yes there is a plant growth chart that shows the upper growth limit for both light and light with co2. But a floater follows not that chat, it has access to 10-20x the amount of co2 a fully submerged aquatic plant does even under intense co2 injected tanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.